31 || Fire Department Benefit 🚒

Oliver picked me up at my house that night once I was finished getting ready and we headed straight to the benefit

Oliver picked me up at my house that night once I was finished getting ready and we headed straight to the benefit. I smiled at what it all turned out to be - I've said it before, but Tommy knew how to throw a party that was for Damn sure. The room was filled with people, lights, and music and the whole place was decorated with giant banners of fire fighters.

"Tommy did great. This place looks amazing." I mumbled.

"Yeah, it does." Oliver rested a hand on my lower back as he led me through the crowd.

"There he is," I was the one to spot Chief Raynes and I quickly wrapped my arms around Oliver's one arm as I tugged him along. "Chief Raynes, hey."

He turned, startled, but smiled when he saw Oliver and I, "Oliver. Harley," he shook our hands in greeting. "This place is spectacular. The Starling City's Firemen Relief Association, can't thank you enough."

"You guys are the real heroes," Oliver told him modestly. "Like, at the Nodell Tower Fire, which I've been reading up on." Chief Raynes looked at him curiously, but I kept my gaze on the Fire Marsall - watching his reactions closely. "Garfield Lynns was the first man in your unit to die. Now, I read that they recovered his coat in the wreckage, but never found his body?"

I watched Chief Raynes face go from curious to blank in a matter of seconds - carefully concealing something away. "You always interrogate your club members, Mr. Queen."

"No, he doesn't," I answered for him, tilting my head slightly. "Do you feel interrogated, Chief Raynes? There's more to this story, isn't there?"

"I've been doing this a long time," he said, keeping his voice even. "And I've never seen a fire like that. It was like some monster out of a science fiction movie. I radioed for my men to get the Hell out of there. But, Lynn's, he wouldn't go - he begged me to send the unit back in. But, I wouldn't do it. Couldn't. God, help me, I left him to burn." And with that he threw the rest of his drink back. "But, I can't bring him back."

"You don't have to," Oliver's words were quick and sure, he'd made up his mind already - but, I'd never second guessed Oliver's intuition yet, and I wasn't going to start doing it now. "He's already back."