29 || Tempting Fate 🕸

A few weeks before the Copy Cat incident and Walter going missing Oliver had installed a wooden post down in the bunker for me to practice sword fighting

A few weeks before the Copy Cat incident and Walter going missing Oliver had installed a wooden post down in the bunker for me to practice sword fighting. He had originally tried to train me with a Bow and Arrow, but eventually realized with my fencing lessons, maybe swords were the way to go.

I had to agree with him there, I had picked up on it pretty fast.

I had a pair of dual Kitanna's my Dad had gotten for me on my birthday a couple years ago when he went to Japan on a business meeting. He told me he got them for me, for decoration, but now, that's not exactly what I had in mind. I swung the blade into the side of the post, and turned quickly on my toes to bring the other blade into the other side.

"You should never turn your back to your opponent," a voice broke in and I flicked my gaze up to see Oliver walking over to me. "It leaves your guard down."

I tugged the blades out of the wood and looked them over - I'd definitely have to sharpen them soon. I walked over to my desk - Oliver, Diggle, and I each had one - a place my Kitanna's up on their display before grabbing the file from where I'd set it down.

"So, Laurel called me yesterday," I told him and Oliver looked at me promptingly. "She wanted me to reach out to the Vigilante for her since I'm so tight with him after the Peter Declan case."

I noticed Oliver's lips twitch slightly at my joke, but instead he turned his attention at the file, "I thought she didn't approve of the Hood's methods."

"Neither did I," I walked up to him, my chest heaving slightly from exertion. "But, she thinks somebodies killing firemen. You know Jo's brother, Danny?" I asked and he nodded. "He died in a fire a couple days ago. Everyone says he died in the line of duty but the evidence tells a completely different story." I held the fire out to him and he sighed, looking down at it, but making no move to take it.

"Harley, I'm not doing this with you, again."

I quirked an eyebrow, "If Danny De La Vega was murdered, we have to bring his killer to justice. Now, either I do this alone, or we do this together." Either way I was going to stop this, even if I had to break a few rules myself - the only thing I was asking of him, was if he was going to make me do this alone.

"I'll look into it," my victorious smirk fell at his next words. "If I find anything, I'll let you know and you can take it back to the station - start up an investigation."

I scoffed slightly, "you want me to take it back to the station?" He just looked at me, no emotion on his face - like he didn't have the energy to argue with me anymore. "You know, I figured after six weeks you'd be more anxious to get back out there, not shut yourself in more. Hell, I even side lined Johnny until he needed to give you the whole 'you've gotta slow down' speech."

Oliver turned to me, his mouth falling open as if to say something, but he never got the chance.

"Where the Hell is everybody." Tommy's voice echoed from upstairs and Oliver and I shared a quick look before he went jogging back up the steps.

I sighed, there was always something that got in the way of my pep talks. I quickly pulled my white crop top back on over my sports bra and pulled my hair up into a high ponytail before following him upstairs. I put in the code, slowly pushing open the door to make sure no one was around before closing it back up.

"I just got finished yelling at our contractor," Tommy was telling Oliver by the time I caught up to them. "I told him if we didn't see any real progress, we'd bring someone else in to finish the job."

"Look at you, all grown up and authoritative," I teased and Tommy's eyes flickered to me, like he didn't notice me at first.

"Harley," I noticed his gaze move from me to Oliver and back again. "What're you doing here?"

"Looking for you," I excused easily, coming up to the work table he was standing at. I scanned the blue prints quickly before meeting his gaze. "I was going to ask how Laurel's friend was doing. I heard about her brother."

"She's hanging in there," he told me before looking over my head at Oliver. "That was actually something I wanted to bring up. I was thinking we could throw a fundraiser for the the Fire Department, raise some money for the families."

My eyebrows shot up in surprise, "that's actually a really good idea. What do you think, Oliver?" i turned to look at him and he slowly turned around, his blue eyes finding mine.

He gave a small nod, "yeah, great idea."

"We could do it here," Tommy continued. "And we could keep the overhead low, make sure to maximize all the proceeds to the Firemen."

"Who are you?" Oliver got this odd smile on his face and I smirked at his teasing. "Where's my friend, Tommy Merlyn; the guy who rented out a pro-football stadium so he could play strip kickball with models."

Tommy had a stupid grin on his face as he remembered that day, "that guy needed a swift kick in his lazy ass."

"Hell yeah, he did." I commented and Tommy nudged my shoulder, but it only made me laugh softly. At first I was mad at my Dad for what he did to Tommy - I still was, he could've at least eased him into it - but, maybe this is exactly what Tommy needed to grow into himself.