13 || The Guardian Angel 👼🏼

•••

•••

I stirred from my sleep feeling eyes on me, it was a strange feeling causing my skin to tingle. I let my eyes flutter open softly, taking in the green blob before me. Then he took shape. I shot up straight with a gasp, a hand held over my chest, "you scared the crap outta me."

Instead of answering he held out a tan file, "Compliments of Matt Istook."

"What's in here?" I asked as I leafed through the pages curiously. Last night I managed to contact the Hood to let him know about the details of the case. Camille was gonna spill the beans on some toxic dump Broduers company was leaving in the glades, but the Supervisor; Matt Istook had said that, that never happened when questioned in court.

"Leverage on Jason Brodeur, enough to help save Peter Declan's life."

"I never could've gotten a file like this," I whispered more to herself then the hooded vigilante in front of me. I looked up at him curiously, pushing to the edge of my bed. "I always thought the law was sacred, i-it fixed everything."

"And now, Harley?" He challenged. "Now what do you think?"

"I think there's too many people in this city who only care about themselves..." I admitted. "People who are selfish. I think they need someone who cares about the lives of other people... someone like you."

I saw a ghost of a smile cross those lips of his before he turned away, leaving out the balcony doors like he always did. I let my own smile take over as I grabbed the file off my bed.

My phone buzzed and I looked down to see a text from Laurel, "meet me. ASAP!!!" the message read. I frowned at her urgency, climbing out of bed and getting ready as fast as I could.

As soon as I got to work I found Detective Lance waiting in my office for me. I frowned, glancing over my shoulder as the door closed softly and then back at the older man. "Not exactly the Lance I was expecting." I joked light heartedly, moving to subtly put the file behind my back.

"You mean because you got my daughter involved in trying to prove a murderer innocent." He smiled bitterly.

I narrowed my eyes, "No, I asked her to help me save an innocent man."

"Help you or someone else?" He asked and I frowned in confusion. "You know, it was a funny development in the Declan case, involving Matt Istook. He, uh, filed a police report. He said the hood harassed him last night. And that's funny, because I noticed that you had suddenly taken an interest in the same case."

"Detective..." I began only to be cut off.

"He's a vigilante. He's a damn criminal, and you working with him, that makes you an accessory." He took a step forward. "Even worse you got my daughter involved."

"I am trying to save an innocent man's life." I raised my chin defiantly, not backing down from this.

"No. You're breaking the law." Detective Lance argued back, jabbing a finger at me.