33 || Trust, But Verify 🗝

The house was filled with sweet aroma's and people - when my Dad asked me to have brunch with him I didn't realize he meant a business brunch

The house was filled with sweet aroma's and people - when my Dad asked me to have brunch with him I didn't realize he meant a business brunch. I walked by the buffet table and grabbed a Mimosa and a Strawberry off the fruit tray on my way to find my Dad.

When I did find him he was talking with some of his business partners over in the foyer while they waited for brunch to be served, finally. I cleared my throat as I came up beside him, smiling politely at the two men he was talking with.

"Mr. Jenkins, Mr. Bass, this is my daughter, Harleen." My Dad introduced me and I shook both their hands.

"Please, call me Harley."

"Well, Harley," the one who my Dad called Mr. Bass began - he was a tall man with a stern face and grey hair. "Your Dad was just telling us about you finally joining the family business."

My eyebrows shot up at that in shock - I turned down that proposal the day I turned 18 as did, Tommy. Before I could say anything to correct them, my Dad placed a hand on my back, speaking up before I could. "I was thrilled to find out she changed her mind on the matter," I look at him promptingly, to see what lies he was going to spew out of his mouth this time. "However, she will be slowly easing into the business as they haven't found a replacement Lieutenant for her yet."

"Yes," I smiled winningly. "In fact, that's exactly what I came over to talk to my father about, so... if you'll excuse us." Mr Bass and Mr Jenkins gave us our privacy but my Dad still led me out onto the back patio where we usually had our fencing lessons.

He obviously didn't want me to make a scene in front of all his guests like he knew I was going to do.

"Joining the family business," I echoed, crossing my arms.

"Now, Harleen-"

"We've had this discussion a million times over, Dad," I cut him off, rolling my eyes in annoyance. "I'm not going into Merlyn Global, I want to do more with my life than sit behind a desk."

"And what exactly are you doing now?" He challenged and I pressed my lips into a thin line. "The moment you got promoted you got taken off the field and stuck behind a desk - this is no different. Except it has better benefits."