34 || Dinner With The Merlyn's 👨‍👧‍👦

"I mean, what was he thinking, Harley

"I mean, what was he thinking, Harley. I could've shot him - I could've killed him." Oliver's voice crackled through the phone as I leaned back against the window ledge just outside the restaurant I was having dinner with my Dad, Tommy, and Laurel in. Well, I was... until Oliver called me to tell me that while he was trying to 'talk' with Gaynor, John showed up to stop him.

"They're old war buddies, Ollie; his commanding officer no less," I shrugged, looking over my shoulder to see Tommy, my Dad, and Laurel talking and I sighed. "No matter what you say to him, it's not going to make that kind of admiration go away... you've got to show him."

"How can I show him when he won't let me?"

I bit my lip, tilting my head back to look up at the darkened sky - the stars spilling across the darkness. "Well, for starters you can't keep throwing that book in his face. You may trust it, but Johnny sure as Hell doesn't."

"He should trust me," Oliver argued. "For the past couple of months I have lied to, hurt, and hid things from everyone that I care about. Does he really think I would do all of that if I wasn't sure."

I nodded with his words, he had a point and that was where a lot of my trust came from when it came to this whole crusade. But, it didn't matter if I trusted him or not, it wasn't about me. "I'm not the one who needs convincing."

"I know..." I could hear Oliver sigh though the phone, and I could practically picture him run his hands over his mouth - that little crinkle forming on his forehead when he got frustrated. "He wants to prove him innocent."

"And what's so wrong with that..." I challenged. "Either he's right and he saved you from making an ass of yourself, or... he's wrong and you can go be the hero and stop the bad guy."

"I just don't want anyone getting hurt because he can't see what's right in front of him... especially Diggle."

"I know..." I sighed, I didn't know what else to tell him - they were both so stubborn, neither one of them were going to give this up until one of them proved themselves right to the other. I looked over my shoulder again to see my Dad watching me curiously through the window. "Listen, Oliver, I gotta go but, I can talk to Johnny if you want me to."