chapter 18 The date that Almost happened

James pov

It took me ages to gatther my strength to go and ask jannah out, and I thought the best way was to ask her family first as a sign of respect.

Jannah's mother was taken aback by my request, she was shocked and speechless for some time, then she smiled.

" Okay first come in, son " she warmly said.

I went in the house, sat on the couch. she went into the kitchen and came out with some cake and gave it to me.

" So you want to go out on a date with my daughter " she asked.

" Yes, ma'am " I answered.

" Son, I don't know how to break this to you, but we come from different cultures, in our culture dating before marriage is forbidden, our girls can't go out with someone they are not related to on their own, you need to understand that what seems normal in your culture, may sound outrageous in others" she said smiling.

" So, ma'am, is this a no " I said with a tone of saddness.

" It's not about you only, or because you are not a Muslim, if any person, even a Muslim, asks me for a date with my daughter, I would decline " she said trying to make me comfortable.

I didn't know what to say, it was really awkward, I guess I should have learnt more about her culture.

" Jannah was absolutely right, we are worlds apart " I said to myself.

" Son, our religion, Islam, is not only a belief system, it's a lifestyle, we try our best to follow Allah's orders in every aspect of our lives, that's the difference between us, you need to understand that jannah is different, her belief in Allah is the only thing that kept her going through all the bad things that happened to her after her father's death, james, if you really care about her, don't take that away, don't force her to abandon her principals" she said warmly.

I understood what she meant, she was kindly saying that I should leave her alone, that we have no future together, because of her religion, but she never thought that maybe I have tried but I couldn't do it.

" I'm sorry ma'am for taking your time, can I go now ?!" I said trying to make this less awkward.

" Stay for lunch, jannah can be here anytime soon" she said.

" Thank you, I don't want her to see me here " I said declining the offer.

I couldn't take her words off my mind that day, I kept replaying them in my head over and over, and I couldn't reach a final decision.

Next day at school I saw jannah by her locker, I approached her.

" My mum told me about yesterday" she said looking away.

" And...." I said with my heart beating fast.

" And she was absolutely right " she said.

" Is that your opinion ?!!" I asked.

" Yes James, this is my opinion, I have let this go far, it was a mistake, after saving me from Richard, I thought you were a friend, just a friend, I thought finally I'll have a backbone in this school, but I didn't know you had other plans in your head" she said angerily.