chapter 6 Awake

Jannah pov

As soon as I've heard these words, I pushed the nurse aside and I ran like crazy towards James' room, my heart was pounding against my chest wall that I thought it would jump out of my chest any moment. when I arrived at the room door, I thought that it would be a false alarm, so I took a moment to gather my strength, then I went in, the nurse whom I pushed earlier followed me in.

I looked at James, he was opening his eyes faintly, struggling to breath normally with the ventilator tube going through his mouth down to his lungs.
So I tried to calm him down, after all he is my patient now,

" It's okay, I'm gonna pull out the tube, and you will be able to breath without it, you may gag or cough but it's okay " I said trying to calm him down.

He replied by looking at me and nodding.
I put one hand under his head to support it while I pulled out the tube by the other. He kept coughing for a good amount of time, but it was normal and nothing concerning, it's his lungs getting rid of the secretions that accumulated inside it during his coma.

" It's okay, it's okay " I kept calming  him down as he seemed a little disoriented.

I saw him trying to open his mouth and talk but he couldn't,

" Don't worry it's normal, you have been in coma for more than five weeks, it's fully expected that you are not gonna regain all your normal functions at once, it's gonna take time " I explained.

I was about to check his vitals and memory when I heard noises approaching.
His parents and his girlfriend came in pushing me aside, preventing me of completing my examination,

" My baby, my baby " I heard his mother say.

She leaned over him, hugging him, almost sending him back into the dark realms of his coma, but she is his mother after all.

" My son, welcome back, I've always believed that this is not the end " his father said from behind his tears.

" Welcome back honey " the alleged girlfriend said.

I looked at James, and I saw a very strange look on his face,

" But...who..are..you? " James said.

It was like being hit by thunderbolt, we were all speechless. Then Mr Bruce Wayne finally spoke,

" What do you mean son? We are your parents? " He said.

" I can't...I don't...remember " James struggled to reply.

" Even me babe, you can't remember me " the girlfriend-who opens her mouth at the wrong times- said.

" No..who are..you? " James said almost crying.

I realised that it was too much for a person that has just woken up from a five weeks coma to take, so I asked them to step out,

" It's totally expected for a person that has received a high energy trauma to the head to pass through a temporary peroid of memory loss. And now I need to examine him, so please leave the room " I said to them.

They looked at me as if I was gonna hurt their son, but they eventually left.

I was pushing the idea that he might not even remember me to the back of my mind to act professionally.

" Who..are..these..people? Why..they..are acting...like..this? And....why am....I here? What...happened? " James asked in confusion.

I could understand the war going on inside his head.

" You were shot in the head, you have been in coma for five weeks, now, this is not easy for the brain to take, so you are suffering from temporary memory loss, it's expected, it's nothing to worry about now, you have been extremely lucky " I said, looking straight into his eyes.

" Thank you.....Dr....." He said stopping mid sentence, because of course he couldn't remember.

" Jannah " I said, hoping ridiculously that it would spark any memory.

" Thank you, Dr Jenna " he replied.

Suddenly, the door was spred wide open, and a tiny man in a black suit and glasses came in,

" James, my man " he said Jokingly, spreading his arms out in the air.

" And who are you? Jason Momoa of this story, except that he is three times your size " I said to myself, rolling my eyes up.

" I missed you so much " the small man said.

" Who..the..hell..are..you..too? " James replied.

" What? you can't remember your right hand, your best friend, Matt Sullivan " the small man replied.

" No " James replied.

" Okay, Mister, can I speak to you outside? We need to let Mr James take some rest " I interfered.

" Ok..okay " the small man said giving up.

We left the room and I closed the door behind me,

" Mr James is having a temporary memory loss, so we don't want to push it, let his recovery takes it's time " I explained.

" Oh " the small man exclaimed.

" But I need to ask you some questions, Mr Sullivan, you work with Mr Wayne? " I asked.

" Actually for, not with, I'm his assistant, Dr Jannah Mohamed " he replied with a wink.

" How do you know ? " I asked in surprise.

" Well, I also happen to be his best friend, he told me everything about you, and when Mr Bruce saw you here, he told me. You can say I'm a chest of secrets for this family " he said, showing off.

" So, Mr chest...I mean Mr Sullivan, I need to know everything about his accident. Do you know who shot him ? " I asked.

" Yes, everybody knows who shot him " he whispered with a smirk.

Vote, comment, let me Know your thoughts.