chapter 5 The girlfriend

Jannah pov

" Girlfriend!!! " I replied in shock.

" Yes.." the girl said in confusion.

I searched her with my eyes to find out what James saw in her.
She had the body of a model, a jawline to die for, one of the fairest skins I've ever come across in my life, blonde hair, and a pair of ice blue eyes that makes looking into them uneasy at all.
I was no competition of hers.
But I knew James doesn't look at woman this way, there was something else.

She noticed that I was looking at her in a strange way,

" Um....so you are the doctor? I thought Dr Kent was responsible of James' case " she asked suspiciously.

" I just got here today from LA, I'm now responsible of his case " I replied in the shortest way possible.

" Oh...so Dr..? " she said stopping mid sentence.

" Mohamed......Dr Jannah Mohamed " I said.

" Ah.....so Dr Mohamed, when will he wake up ? " She asked in the most arrogant way.

" No.. that's not how medicine works, miss...." I said.

" Miss Bernadette " she replied.

" Yeah... Miss Bernard... That's not how medicine works, we don't guess, we are not into the witchcraft here " I said knowing that she would probably explode after hearing my words.

" Then enlighten me ?" She asked.

" Mr Wayne received a high energy trauma to the temporal area, causing rupture of the temporal vessels, with a comminuted fracture that was contaminated, it also caused sliding of the neurons over each other causing micro tears within the grey matter of the brain, we have put him on steroids to alleviate the brain edema, and prophylactic broad spectrum antibiotic to avoid any meningial infection, and no we don't know when will he wake up " I guess I just summed up ten years of studying medicine.

I swear I could hear her blood pressure elevating.
Maybe I should have acted more professional, but I couldn't help myself, I'm also a human being.
Maybe she is wondering why the instant hatred from my side, well, I couldn't explain, just my jealousy genes kicked in, at the wrong time with the wrong person.

" Oh... Can you say this again but in English ? " She asked with puppy eyes.

I exhaled, feeling the guilt of showing off with the knowledge Allah has given me. After all it wasn't her fault,

" Oh.. I meant the bullet caused bleeding inside his head, and a fracture in his skull, that's why he didn't regain his consciousness yet, but we hope for the best, In Shaa Allah " I said trying to calm down the atmosphere.

" Oh...yeah we hope for the best " she said.

I looked at James one last time, thinking that when he wakes up, he owes me an explanation.

I left the room, heading to the place where I'm supposed to stay for the night in the hospital.
I got to meet other doctors, from different backgrounds and different counteries, I wanted to do anything else but think about...him.
In the morning next day, I've woken up, prayed Fajr, and asked Allah for Baraka " blessing " of my new job.

That day, I had to attend three operations with Dr Miller. He wanted to teach me everything, he didn't only direct me to what to do, but also held my hand with the scalpel inside it to teach me to how to cut in the tissues, what depth the cut should be, and how long it should be.
The first time he put his hand on my hand, I literally freaked out, but then I understood that he wanted to teach me everything, after all he was more than twice my age.
Of course I could smell Dr Kent's head smoking with jealousy but that's how competition works I guess.

After the third operation, I had some time off, so I headed to James' room, I opened the door, and the sight of his parents hit me. I decided swallowe my pride and go in.

His mother was crying over his bed, and his father was holding her.
I thought about going away and then coming latter when they are gone, but then I would be only delaying the confrontation no more.
Ever since finding the truth, I knew this moment would come, but I didn't know that it would come this fast.

" Ehemm " I made a sound to make myself noticed.

They looked back and they noticed me,

" Oh.. where's Dr Kent ? " The father asked.

" Well, I'm the new responsible of his case, so I guess you will have to deal with me now " I replied.

" Have we met before? " The mother asked.

" Yes, totally....you do know me" I replied looking directly into her eyes.

" You are that girl, Jenna... " She said.

" Jannah.. Dr Jannah Mohamed please " I said glaring at her.

" Oh my God " the father said.

" Look ma'am, look Mister, I'm not really into your nostalgia, we can sit in any café, order some hot chocolate and speak about memories, but here I'm his doctor, so deal with it " and with these words I left the room.

As I was walking away from the room, I felt a hand grabbing my arm,

" What the...?" I screamed before realising it was Mr Bruce Wayne, James' father.

" Jannah, I do remember you, I remember what happened, and I'm sorry I couldn't do anything about it, but I also remember how much you loved him, so please help us, help him, I miss him every single moment " he said begging.

" I know Mr Wayne that it wasn't your fault, but you need to understand that medicine is not about feelings, here everyone is doing his best for your son, all we have is hope " I said, sympathizing with his state.

" But...he is not waking up " he said.

" I'm sorry, but with all the scientific advance we can't do anything about it, except asking Allah to bring him back " I explained.

" Yes..I understand " he said in surrender, then he walked away.

I headed back to my room, laid back on the bed, and closed my eyes. I was thinking about the events of that day so far when suddenly I heard loud knocking on the door, I rushed to open it, it was one of the nurses.

" The patient in room 21, James Wayne, opened his eyes " the nurse said.

Vote, comment, let me know your thoughts.