chapter 13 Departure

Sorry for being late, I've been really busy lately.

Jannah pov

" I don't understand.....it's my right to know why???!!! " I was lost for words.

" Believe me Dr Mohamed, I don't understand either, but you know how it works, this is America, anybody can be fired at anytime, this is how capitalism works, I'm really sorry " Dr Miller seemed to be lost for words too.

" So this is it!! " I said, hopelessly.

" I'm afraid so, but before you go, I need to tell you, that you were one of the best junior doctors I've ever worked with, there is a great future ahead of you, don't let a small obstacle like this stop you from becoming great " Dr Miller said, trying to reassure me.

" Thank..you..it's been an honor too " I replied, lost.

I went back to my room to gather my things, then I left.
I didn't want anybody to see me , I knew I couldn't answer their curious questions, the same questions that I didn't have the answer for myself.

I went back to the apartment I rented. I laid down on my bed, thinking maybe I'll have to leave San Francisco if I couldn't find another position in another hospital in the city.

I was lost in my thoughts when I heard the phone ring, I picked it up.

" Hi, Jannah " the voice said.

" Oh, James " I said, I couldn't control my tears.

" What? What's wrong? Are you okay? " He asked.

" I left the hospital...they fired me " I said.

" What? Why would they do something like this? You are one of their best ? " He said.

" I don't know...Dr Miller himself doesn't know...it was a direct order from the owners " I said through my tears.

" I'll get to the bottom of this, don't worry " he tried to reassure me.

" Do you think Falcone has anything to do with it??? " I asked

" That's why I'm asking you to stay away in your apartment till I find out the truth, I'll call you if I find anything, I promise " he said.

" Okay, but be careful James, he is after you too " I said.

" I know... Goodbye Jannah " he said.

One week later

I was wondering around my apartment, trying to do anything to keep myself busy, when I got a message from james on my phone,

" Jannah, meet me in the Café around the corner of your street in 2 hours, I'll be waiting "

It was the first time in a week to hear from him, I was really eager to find out if he knew anything about why I was fired, after all he was my only friend in San Francisco.

In 2 hours I was sitting in the Café he said he would meet me at, he showed up after about 20 minutes, it was the first time ever for James to be late on me.

" Hey, you are late, business, ha? " I asked.

" Sortta " he said, bored.

" You seem a little off, what's wrong? " I asked, trying to open a conversation.

" Nothing " he said.

" Oh, you are stealing my job, I'm the girl, I'm the one supposed to say nothing, not you " I said, trying to cheer him up.

He didn't say a word.

" So you texted me to bring me here and brood?? " I asked.

" Jannah, this is wrong!! " He said.

" What wrong??? I don't understand " I asked.

" This, this ambiguous relationship we have, what are we? Friends!! because we are definitely not lovers " James smirked.

" I don't know, I never thought about it before " I said.

" Well, you have to, because I don't like this vagueness, it's time to tell me, so tell me?? " He asked.

" Why do we have to label it? let it be, I thought we are 2 people helping each other out? Standing by each other in the time of need? " I said.

" Well, Jannah, how can I say this? This doesn't work for me? I can't live with this, I can't keep lying to myself, and you need to stop doing this too " he said, sternly.

" I don't understand, why are we talking about this now? " I asked in confusion.

" Because... because I have a girlfriend, and I love her, and it's working between us, actually, it's working really well, she is someone I can relate to " James said.

" Okay, congratulations!!! But why do I have to do anything with this? " I asked.

" Really, Jannah, you don't have anything to do with this?? Look me in the eye and tell me you don't??? " He said, starring directly into my eyes, as if daring me.

" James, why are you doing this? Why are you trying to wide open the old wound, this is not the right time!! I don't have a job and....." I said.

" And what? When will it ever be the right time? This has been always your problem, you always think you know better, you are above, we are all below, I hate this, I hate this about you " he said.

" James, what do you want? " I asked, swallowing my pride.

"I don't want to see your face or hear your voice ever again, you hurt me once already, I don't want to try it again " James said.

" Okay, fine " I said leaving, as quickly as possible.

I went back to my apartment and I headed directly to my bed, I buried my head in the pillows, and cried, I cried like I never did before.

It was the first time for James to hurt me like this, and he did it purposefully.

Maybe I made a mistake by thinking that he is still the same old lost James I knew ten years ago in my highschool.

He is now the head of a multibillion dollar company, he dates models and celebrities, I'm a nobody to him.

Suddenly the phone rang, I picked it up, it was Dr Miller,

" Dr Mohamed, I'm calling to tell you that you got back your position in the hospital!! " Dr Miller said.

" Really? And how did this happen ? " I asked, drying my tears.

" The Wayne enterprises bought the hospital, they want you back, you definitely have friends there " Dr Miller said to my surprise.

Vote, comment, let me know your thoughts.