Finding One's Identity

"Are you enjoying St Louis so far?", Bob asked as he let the dog off the leash, letting it run around the field as we walked.

"Yeah, it's lovely here. I can only imagine what it's like in the summer."

"Ah it's great, I know you and Randy are considering where to settle down, maybe you should look around for houses around here.", he suggested.

Oh yes, I forgot about that. I mean it would be nice, plus this place is really nice to be around.

"Plus we'd always be here if you ever needed help with the baby and such.", Bob added with a smile. "It's weird to think that in just a few months Randy will be a father, I never expected it from him.", he added with a shrug.

I looked at him with a frown, confused at his words, "What do you mean?", I asked.

"With how Randy acted, plus the influential lifestyle of Hunter and Dave rubbed off on him when they took him into Evolution, partying and being promiscuous, I just saw that as what his life would be for about the next ten or fifteen years.", he explained. "I mean me personally didn't approve of it, by my age I was already married to his mother but I guess it's just change of life really. But then he started telling me and Elaine about you.."

Me? I waited for him to continue.

"He would always talk about you, how you were, how you would make him smile after he felt tired or down after a show. Each time I saw him he looked that little bit happier and I can't help but assume it was because of him knowing you."

A smile crept upon my face knowing that, it was nice to hear that Randy's father thought that about me.

"Also if anything I also believe you've helped him find who he is as a person.", Bob spoke.

"How so?"

"Randy when he first started..", he paused for a moment, trying to figure out how to word what he was trying to say properly. "He didn't really know who he was, he struggled amongst people to try and find what his identity was, he's been like that all through his childhood and through high school. He may have tried fitting in where he knew he didn't really belong, which I believe was the case when he was with Evolution living the party lifestyle. I mean I thank Hunter and Ric for taking my son in and mentoring him into being better but as far as the partying influence goes, it just didn't seem that was the Randy me and my wife raised."

"So you think he was trying to just fit in for the sake of impressing and keeping up appearances?", I asked only for Bob to nod in confirmation.

"In a way yes, but then again that could have just been a change in his personality. Part of me feels he may be like that due to wanting approval of the people he's around, such as Hunter. Maybe he felt he didn't get that from me due to me being on the road and wrestling whilst he was growing up, I don't really know.", Bob frowned.

"Don't blame yourself, you didn't intend on that happening. You was just tying to provide for your family and focus on your job.", I replied.

"I suppose, but I sometimes do wish I could go back and maybe have been home more. I know Randy will probably go through similar to us as he'll be on the road whilst you're at home with the baby when it comes, it'll be difficult but I'm sure you two can make it through whatever.", he shrugged. "You two look like you could go through whatever and withstand it, making your relationship stronger.", he smiled.

You two look like you could go through whatever and withstand it, making your relationship stronger.

That was the sentence what stood out to me the most.