Chapter One

Arabella dashes through the forest as fast as she can, hoping that all her years of captivity has made her desperate enough to outrun a vampire. Slashes of dark red snake their way across her feet, but she ignores them in her attempt to flee her capturers. This is her fiftieth attempt in the past century, and she will be damned if she lets it go to waste because of weakness.

The gigantic house that she set her sights on a few miles back is becoming larger now. Its white exterior proving itself to be a beacon in the night, guiding her way to safety. Something tells her that safety is just beyond those walls. Overwhelming memories threaten to spill over the surface of her consciousness, but she shoves them back under until she knows she is safe.

Suddenly, a man appears before her. He gives her a look of pity, pretending like he regrets doing this to her. Arabella, however, knows all their tricks by now. She will not allow them to take her captive again. Even if it means killing them all. "Don't make this any harder than it has to be," he growls.

Arabella's instincts kick in and she snaps the man's neck. Adrenaline courses through her veins as she continues running through the forest. She's running faster than before, unsure if she can make it to the house in time.

More vampires begin to catch up to her, practically nipping at her heels. One snap of her neck and they can easily drag her all the way back to that motel room on the other side of Mystic Falls.

Pushing back that thought, Arabella barely allows herself time to think through the next part of her plan before she uses her powerful legs to jump through the second story window. Her heart threatens to burst out of her chest as she rolls through the sharp shards of glass.

Somehow, Arabella's back makes it to the wall and she stops to stare out the window. With the adrenaline rushing through her veins, the young woman can hear her own heartbeat as she holds her breath.

If she chose the wrong house, the monsters below can get her. If she chose correctly, however, then she'll have an angry owner to deal with.

Arabella can hear the vampires release a breath of frustration before they begin to retreat. Their crunching footsteps the only sound in the night as they move to tell their master how they failed.

Releasing a sigh of relief, Arabella wraps her arms around her knees and tries to assemble what just happened.

The crash could be heard even from downstairs. It sounded like someone threw a large boulder through their window to prove a point to them. "Well, that's just great," Damon groans. He rolls his icy blue eyes in annoyance at the broken window before pinning an accusatory gaze upon Stefan. "Who did you anger this time?"

Stefan sends his older brother a confused look. His bronze colored eyebrows elevate just slightly at his brother. "Aren't you the one who makes people mad?" He asks.

Damon considers the thought for a moment before he nods. "I do seem to be in the habit of making people reckless lately." A smirk appears on his face as he swirls his whiskey. "Whoops."

A gust of air forces its way through the house from the broken window, and it is then that the two vampires can smell it. The blood.

With incredible speed, Stefan appears in the bedroom and finds a small figure crumpled in the corner of the empty bedroom. With a heavy frown, he takes a step closer to the person, trying to figure out who it is.

"Easy," Damon states. A playful look dances across his features. "It could be a monster."

Stefan rolls his eyes as he creeps further into the room. With his enhanced vision, he can somewhat make out extremely long, greasy brown hair off the person. It's almost as if they haven't had a shower or a haircut in years.