Chapter 7

Luke

It was pretty hot outside today. I wish I had worn a short-sleeved shirt... though I don't have any. The uniform is strictly a long-sleeved button-up with black dress pants as I said before.

The park was really pretty, to say the least. Melody had picked out a place under a large tree right next to the lake. Under the tree, it was definitely cooler... but I felt like I was dying.

We sat together on a picnic blanket. Gabriel and Melody sat on the left side while I sat on the right side. I watched as she opened the picnic basket with a smile lingering on her lips. She handed me my food first- which was a sandwich, a small container of cookies, and a bottle of water.

''I hope you're not vegan or anything... I didn't know what you liked, so I just made a turkey sandwich.'' She said to me as she placed Gabriel's food in front of him. She packed basically the same thing for the three of us... though Gabriel had a little bit more than the rest of us.

I pulled the container off of the cookies. They were chocolate chip! my favorite. It reminded me of when Matthew's girlfriend would bring me cookies! they were so good, as a matter of fact... they looked just like-

Wait a minute.

I slowly brought my gaze up towards Melody. She was gazing at me with the biggest smile on her face. That's why she was so familiar! She's Matthew's girlfriend!

''You're... you're Melody!'' I exclaimed. She let out a delighted laugh at my words, shaking her head.

''You seriously realized that by looking at my cookies? You sure have a bad memory!'' She said to me. I could completely see it now. The only drastic change about her was about her hair and her style... She used to have long, blonde hair down to her waist. She'd wear the Logos Academy formal wear every day as I do... how time changes.

I brought a cookie up to my mouth, taking a bite out of it. They tasted the same... it reminded me of when I was younger. She was always so kind to me. She'd make sure I was okay every time she came over, I never understood why... but she brought these exact cookies. I love them.

''Are you going to get in trouble for not going to school, blondie?'' Gabriel asked me before taking a sip of his water. Most likely, yes... they will find out I didn't go. I didn't want him to worry though. He told me that if they hit me one more time he's going to call the police...

''...Yeah, most likely. They call if you aren't present.'' I replied. He furrowed his eyebrows at my words, leaning back on the picnic blanket. He didn't say anything else... but I knew what he was thinking about. What if they hurt me?

''I hated Logos with a passion. I wonder if anything changed since then...'' She muttered.

''It didn't.''

I couldn't help but scoff at my own words. I didn't know how to feel about the school and church anymore... I've grown up there. I figured she didn't like Logos now since she's a satanist now, or maybe she was struggling with the work. I don't know... I shouldn't talk poorly about my church and school.

We ate the food in silence. I was pretty hungry... I didn't eat dinner last night. I didn't have time or the appetite to.

''YOU DON'T FUCKING LISTEN TO ME WHILE I PREACH, MIRANDA! I SEE YOU FUCKING DOZING OFF IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SERVICE!'' My father screamed at her as I put the groceries away. She stood near the kitchen table silently as she tilted her head down, not daring to meet his intruding glare.

''LOOK AT ME WHEN I'M TALKING TO YOU!'' He screamed, grabbing her chin and forcing her to meet his eyes. I watched in horror as the tears flowed freely down her face, her body shaking in fear.