Chapter 19

TW: topic of black hate crimes.

Luke

''Those two, they have been bickerin' since Gabriel knew he could have the leadership of the church. My son Darnell keeps tellin' the boy, 'You aren't responsible enough to lead these people yet!' he's got a point!'' Gabriel's grandfather mumbled to me as he twirled his spaghetti on his fork.

''That boy has gotten into so much trouble this past couple of years...'' He continued. ''I don't like it. I love my boy Gabriel, reminds me so much of his father.'' He said to me. I furrowed my eyebrows at his words, watching as the fork in his hand shook as he blew on it gently.

I forgot to ask Gabriel about that. It's like everyone is assuming I know about his parents... obviously, something happened.

I gazed over the rest of the Lancaster's table. They were talking happily with each other as they ate their food. Gabriel said that Faith and Caleb were here... and they needed help with something. Melody still sat at the table with me with an angry look lingering in her eyes. She kept looking up at me like she wanted to say something, but she never did.

''Want to go find the rest of them?'' I suddenly asked her. I watched as her brown eyes lit up at my words.

''...Yeah.'' She mumbled.

We walked down the stairs without another word. Her hands were clenched at her sides as we walked side by side. The sound of everyone chattering filled my ears, some people's laughter as they danced on the ballroom floor.

''Um... can I ask what's going on?'' I asked Melody. Her gaze softened at my question, a deep sigh leaving her as she crossed her arms across her chest.

''Gabriel told me not to tell you, but... there's just stuff going on between Kyle and Caleb. I know they really like each other, I just... I don't know how to handle it. I know Kyle and I have only been dating for a few months-''

''...Are you sure you like him? You're not that mad, to say the least.'' I asked her. She let out a laugh at my words, shaking her head as we walked up to the first floor of the church.

''...No, I don't think I do. He's a great friend and everything, but... everything just feels so wrong with him. You know? I keep thinking about this person I used to date. They were perfect for me, even though we were kids-''

''You could talk about Matthew. I'm older now.'' I reassured her. She smiled in my direction as we stopped in front of the church doors.

''There's not a lot to talk about. I'm just hung up on the past I guess.'' She said as she gazed down at her wrist. There was a tattoo on her wrist of a small heart with the letter 'M' in the middle. I figured that was for Matthew...

''Maybe one day he will come back, wherever he is. You guys don't have to be together obviously if he comes back, but... his presence might be enough. I miss him too, Melody.'' I told her.

She nodded her head at my words, flashing me a soft smile before she opened the doors to the Church. I guess she didn't really want to talk about it, I understand why. He's been gone for a long long time... and she's still not totally over him. She probably feels embarrassed.

My eyes were met with Gabriel leaning up against his car, a cigarette in his hand as he gazed over at Faith with a look of amusement in her eyes. She was yelling at Kyle with a finger raised in his face, Caleb standing behind her with a frown lingering on his lips.