Chapter 20

Luke

''That party sucked. I don't know why he wanted to even have it... It's not like he was turning fifty.'' Gabriel said to me with a yawn as we walked into the door of his apartment. He threw his car keys down on the coffee table that stood next to the front door before he began to loosen his tie, his gaze lingering over to the living room.

''We weren't even in the church for more than half of the party, Gabriel.'' I told him. A playful smirk lingered on his lips at my statement as he walked into the living room, throwing himself down on the couch with a deep sigh.

''I heard his bullshit all the way on the outside. It was exhausting.'' He said to me, watching as I walked over to the couch and sat down next to him. He let out a deep yawn as he gazed over at me, his eyes full of exhaustion. I can't help but admit... he looked adorable when he was tired. His eyes were struggling to stay open, his arms and legs thrown carelessly over the couch.

''Do you actually not like your uncle? I don't really understand...'' I admitted. He instantly began to shake his head at my question.

''Nah, I love him... he's just a little annoying sometimes. I'll admit, I should be a little bit nicer to him. He's only looking out for me, I guess...'' He said to me. His grandfather did tell me that Gabriel was supposed to be the leader of the church. He said that it was a family tradition to pass on the leadership throughout the Lancaster line... I don't really know if it's something all Satanists churches do, but... It's kind of similar to what my church does.

I think that's the only similarity we have.

Before I could reply, I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I felt Gabriel's eyes linger on me as I pulled the phone out of my pocket, pressing the home button and gazing at the message I received. I had a few messages I haven't read yet, but... the most recent one I had just gotten was from Josiah.

Hey buddy. I know you've been busy lately, but Mary, David and I were wondering if you could swing by the church tomorrow. The church wants to talk to you... nothing bad of course. We miss you too.

I couldn't help but sigh at the message. I didn't mind going to the church for Josiah, Mary, and David... I just don't think I could handle talking to the rest of them. I probably should, considering they don't have a pastor at the moment. I need to make the decision of who will teach them next I guess.

It's so stupid! Who even came up with the idea of making my family in charge of everything? My dad obviously couldn't handle it! I don't even want to preach to those people... it's not what I want to do with my life.

I want to help people... but not in that way. I cannot preach the word of God when I'm struggling myself.

''You alright, blondie?'' Gabriel asked me, breaking me out of my thoughts. I pulled my gaze off of my phone and onto Gabriel. I watched as he pulled himself up from the position he was on the couch, pulling up a sleeve and pulling a hair tie off of his wrist. I couldn't form words as he reached up to his head, pulling the long, curly locks into a bun on top of his head.

I cleared my throat, forcing myself to look away from him.

''Yeah. My friend Josiah texted me, he said that my church wants to see me tomorrow. Do you mind if I take your car?'' I asked him. His lips turned into a smirk at my question. I watched as he ran his tongue over his bottom lip before he spoke, his eyes filling of mischief as he prepared to answer me. Oh god.

''Mm, maybe... can I trust you with my car, Luke?'' He asked me. His tone was assertive and deep, maybe even demanding... playful. I felt a smile linger on my lips as I thought of my response.