Chapter 13

Luke

''If you really don't feel up to going Luke it's okay, we could just watch a movie or something at home...'' Gabriel said to me, tightening his grip on the steering wheel as he spoke. This had to be at least the third time he asked me if I was okay with going. I know he was only looking out for me, but I truly did want to go out and do something. He said the party wasn't really a party itself... it was just hanging out with his few friends. They aren't doing anything crazy, so why shouldn't I go? It would be good to meet some new people. I'm not going to let my dad bring me down... at least now.

''For the millionth time, I promise I'm okay. It's not like you guys are going out and robbing a store or something! Unless... that's your plan.'' I mumbled. He let out a deep laugh at my words, not daring to break his gaze from the road. He shook his head, his dark brown curls following his every movement.

''I'm just worried that I'm dragging you here when you're not well, you know? If you need to rest I understand.'' He told me. He let out a deep sigh afterward, his gaze seeming distant on the road. I don't know quite what he was thinking about... but he sounded pretty worried.

''... do you want me to go?'' I asked him. He immediately shook his head yes, running his tongue over his bottom lip before he spoke.

''Of course I want you to go! I'm just... worried about you.'' He said to me, the end coming out in a whisper. I couldn't help but frown in his direction.

''You've haven't really reacted to what happened yet. Yeah, some nights you need me... but we haven't sat down and talked about it. I just don't want you to think you can't feel sorry for yourself or something...''

He's right. I have been pretty happy lately and I haven't really sat down and thought about what happened. There's a lot of things I should be grieving for... but I haven't. Yeah, I've been having some night terrors, but that's about it.

''...Maybe it will hit me eventually, but for now, I'm going to live in the present.'' I told him. He nodded his head slowly without another word.

Gabriel finally pulled in the driveway of a larger house. It wasn't too big or too small; It was perfect. It had a brown brick with a grey roof, decorated by different kinds of shapes of windows.

''We will be here for about two hours. The four of us have work tomorrow, so we won't party too hard.'' Gabriel said to me, glancing over to me with a smile on his pierced lips before climbing out of the car. He jogged over to the other side of the car quickly, opening the passenger's side of the car and taking my crutches in his hands. I took his hand as he helped me up out of the car, taking the crutches from him with a thank you.

We walked up to the door together slowly, Gabriel walking beside me even though I walked as slow as a snail. I'm so bad with using these... I wish my ankles weren't broken. It would be so much easier for me to get around. Plus... Gabriel wouldn't have to look after me all the time.

Gabriel didn't bother knocking on the door. He opened the door without another word, walking through the door with a yell.

''FAITH! WE ARE HERE!'' He yelled, cupping his hands over his mouth before yelling. He looked back at me with a smile as he motioned for me to follow him inside. The sound of music coming from the radio filled my ears as I walked in the door; Gabriel closing it behind me.

''It took you long enough... what were you two doing?'' Faith said to us as she walked up to us, holding a glass of soda in her hands. She extended her arms out to me before engulfing me in a hug, a smile lingering on her lips.