Chapter 27

Gabriel

Susan Williams. I haven't seen the bitch in a few years. She was known as one of the faces of the Logos Church, along with her brother. Keith Williams.

The murderer of my parents.

I remember that day as clear as glass. My parents were going out for a date like they usually do every month. Faith and I really wanted to go out with them, considering that we haven't really seen them lately. They worked all the time at the church because we were struggling with money. It was hard for them to raise twins. Faith and I didn't see that.

Faith and I stayed home that night. We were only about fourteen old, but my parents trusted us enough to let us stay home alone. My auntie Precious was going to check up on us every hour of course... my parents weren't that stupid.

My parents didn't come home when they said they would. We called their phone, we called Auntie Precious and told her they weren't home. She told us that they won't answer her either. It wasn't like them. My parents were responsible people. They told us everything... what they were doing, what movie they would see.

They were good people. They didn't deserve it.

My dad and mama told us to never open the door for strangers. Only open the door for auntie Precious, auntie Charlotte, and uncle Darnell. Look out the window to see who it is. If it isn't any of them... Do not open the door. We never really understood why they were so big on not letting anyone in at the time.

It was because there are sick people out there. Sick people who want to kill us for our religion, kill us for the way we act... kill us for our skin color.

There was a knock at the door. I wasn't thinking... I didn't check the window to see who it was. I just wanted to see my mom. I wanted to see my dad. I was scared that something really bad happened to them. I wasn't dumb as a kid. I knew people didn't like us, I knew people wanted us dead...

She told us her name was Susan Williams. She said something bad happened to our parents and she wanted to check on us. She walked right into our house, sat down in our living room and motioned for us to join her. We were just kids. We didn't know exactly what was going on. We wanted to know what was happening so... we let her stay. We didn't call anybody for help. We didn't know she had bad intentions.

She was a shorter white woman with brown, curly hair to her waist. She looked to be in her late 20s, the same age as my mom. She wore a cardigan with a long skirt, a cross necklace strung proudly around her neck. She constantly had a smile lingering on her lips, although you could tell that it was fake.

''I wanted to come check on you two... I know your family is out busy looking for your parents. It's a shame what happened, really-''

''Where are they? How do you know where they are? Shouldn't we call our auntie?'' Faith exclaimed. Tears were streaming down her face at this point- She had been crying for hours. I didn't let myself cry. Dad told me that even in the hardest situations, don't cry. It's okay for a man to cry of course, but... I need to stay strong. I need to take care of Faith.