I've Got You

Narrator's POV

"Yeah, I'm just on my way to pick up Oliver." Peter said on the phone to Stephen as he swung from building to building to Oliver's school.

"Okay. Your dad and I won't be home for a few hours. We've got a meeting to attend." Stephen said.

"Okay. I'll make something to eat at home." Peter said, landing on top of a tall office building shadowing Oliver's school. "How've you been sleeping dad?" Peter asked.

"I've been sleeping better." Stephen answered.

"Well, lets hope it stays that way. I care about you dad."

"Thanks Peter." It was quiet between the two as they shared a smile. "Hey, I've got to go. I'll see later tonight."

"Okay. Tell Iron Dad I said hey."

"I will. Tell Oliver we said hi."

"Will do. Love you."

"Love you too."

"Bye."

"Bye." Stephen hung up.

Peter jumped off the building, landing quietly in the empty lot next to it, making sure no one saw him before he walked out of it. He stood at the gate of the school along with other parents.

"Three, two, one." The bell rang. Kids ran out of classrooms, screaming and running all about the place. Some headed to the playground. Ms. Casey came over to the gate and opened it. Kids raced over to their parents and embraced them.

Peter waited for Oliver. He knew Oliver always took his time packing his things and asking the teacher questions about the homework and or helping others.

Oh, yes. Oliver now had homework as a second grader.

///0///0

"You add three to that, and then divide it by two. And then you get your answer." Oliver told one of his classmates as he packed his things in his backpack.

He was suddenly pushed down, hitting the ground with a thud.

"Ow." He groaned. He looked at his elbow. It had a strawberry. The carpet had given him a carpet burn when he was pushed. He looked up. There were two boys standing there.

"Hey Weirdo." One said.

Oliver got back up, but he was pushed down on the ground again. "Leave me alone Maxwell." Oliver said.

"Be quiet. You don't belong here. You can't. You're weird." Said the other boy, holding Oliver's backpack in his hand. He poured all of Oliver's stuff out onto the floor, but picked up a blue colored paper that caught his attention. "What is this?"

"Hey!" Oliver tried to get it, but the other boy pushed him on the ground and kept him down by placing a foot on Oliver's chest.

"Have a great day at school Oliver. Remember we're always there with you." The boy read aloud. "Ewww." He stuck his tongue out to Oliver. He ripped the paper. "Oops."

"Stop!" Oliver said, trying to get the boy's foot off of his chest. Oliver groaned, trying to get Maxwell's foot off his chest. "Ngh!" He sighed in frustration, tears filled his eyes.

"Aww, do you wanna cry to your mommy?" Taunted Maxwell. "Oh wait, you don't have one." He laughed. "Come on Grady."

Both boys walked away laughing, leaving Oliver on the ground in tears.

///0///0

Peter was getting a little worried. Oliver was usually at the gate by now. He was about to go looking for him, when he finally saw him coming. He sighed in relief. Oliver held both sleeves of his backpack, drawing them close to his chest. His head hung low.