24) Darkening

It was now nightfall and by this time the silent team had decided it was time to set up camp. Despite almost everyone having a personal liking towards Hinata, she had kept to herself most to the journey.

This had prompted all of team 7 to set up their own tents, whilst chatting gleefully. Hinata watched happily, even if she could not be close to Naruto, it had meant the world to her to admire him from the sidelines. There was something about him that she had always admired. Her face naturally put on a gentle smile as she gazed over her unknowing love.

In a sudden moment, Sasuke took notice of her. Hinata's face turned a harsh shade of red as she watched the painful view of Sasuke walking up to her.When he finally came to her, she was surprised to see him setting up her tent as a helpful compliment.

"Your one of those silent people, like me. I'm surprised Naruto's idiotic talk didn't phase you." He had took no second glance at her.

"Well, um," Now Hinata was worried. Had Sasuke seen her gazing at him along the journey? "I- I don't really... I don't mind-"

"About Naruto's big speech at the final valley. Good job cheering him up. Knowing the little about you that I can gather, I think you were perfect for the job." Sasuke had trouble with the last part of the tent. "Help me out, will you?"

"Oh!" Still her face remained a constant red. "My apologies."

Both Hinata and Sasuke began to set up the tent. At this moment, Hinata was trying to figure out why Sasuke was talking to her. Sasuke had never once spoke to her beforehand, so why was he speaking now. Her lifetime with cousin Neji had always thought her that people often wielded an ulterior motive, but she was too nervous to confront him. Soon however, Sasuke showed his sudden interest in her.

"You're a taijutsu specialist, right?"

"Oh, yes, I am."

"That's good." Both of them had finished up their tent at this time. "My sensei, Anko thinks I'm too good at taijutsu to train me now; she wants to do it with me later. Are you up for training in taijutsu sometime?"

Now Sasuke's ulterior motive was shown. It was not the most devious plot, but Hinata was relieved to hear that Sasuke had not caught up in her affection for Naruto.

"We- well, I wanna get powerful soon so, yes. I accept."

"Good." Sasuke smiled gently, quickly hiding it seconds later to keep his normal calm demeanour. Soon after, Naruto had called at everyone to join them for dinner. "Alright, c'mon, foods cooking."

He walked off to his normal friend group. Hinata smiled gently, her cheeks slowly returning from their journey of embarrassment. She felt out of place with everyone in this mission, but she somehow liked it. It was fun being with her other genin, and it was fun to see Naruto, even if for just one mission. To her, it was all so-

"Captain Yamato, 7 O'clock towards your right!" Her shyness escaped her. Her byakugan activated at a fast pace.

Yamato jumped up from his comfortable seating and took notice of Hinata's confidence. "What do you see?"

"Throw a kunai. You won't miss it."

Yamato did as instructed and Naruto, Sakura and Sasuke stood up in high alert. The tension fell when Yamato opened a bush after throwing a kunai, to see a patch of black ink filling the ground.

"Well I know who this is." Yamato cursed under his breath. "They've already caught onto us."

"Um, what was that?" Hinata's byakugan reverted to normal.