Lorelei

I haven't slept in at least a few days. The doctors have prescribed insomnia pills. I take them but even though they put me to sleep I don't get much rest from the sleep. It's like waking up from my coma. I didn't feel really refreshed when I woke up, and I didn't have the groggy feeling you usually have when you sleep in to long. I just felt like I did before I fell asleep.

It isn't ideal, let me tell you that. On top of that my cast on my leg and the new experimental leg they have me trying out make it impossible to wear anything other than the shortest clothing I own. I would rather be dressed in my old camo cargos and black shirt than the coral pink mini shorts and white tank top.

To top it all off I can't keep from crying every night before I sink into another short drug coma. I told myself it would get better within a few days but the crying is still the same. "It's for the better. He can't hurt me as bad if he dies." I keep having to tell myself. I can't believe I let myself fall into this situation in the first place.

I am dumb. I decided I needed to go and do something so I journeyed into the labs. The advisor told me to go wait for a lab partner and we would be studying the stars to see if we really are on one of Jupiter's moons. I think it is interesting that we have to possibility to be on one of Jupiter's Moons.

I mean it would change everything we thought we knew about our home planet. Are we halfway across the universe like we originally thought or did we just stay here in Earth's Solar System. And if we are actually on Jupiter's Moon that what were the danger that we had to stay away from?

I have many questions. I just chill on the floor while waiting for my partner to come. Eventually Elijah sits next to me. His hair is messed up just a little. It is kind of cute. Then I see the circles. He is still shockingly handsome but he seems like he could benefit from a full night of sleep.

"Do you want to go to the Star Chart Room?" I ask.

He nods and I lead him down to the Star Chart room. I remember when I was younger, maybe 12 or 13, I wanted desperately to be able to sit under the glow of the false stars and kiss someone for the first time.

I thought it was so romantic. I remember sharing this thought with Alivia and Alivia had already gone passed making out in that room. I guess I was kind of shocked when I found out because for the longest time I had unconsciously thought Alivia and I were the same age.

It brought me to the startling revelation that we were actually four years apart. Strange how that is. Let me just say my first kiss wasn't under the glow of the false stars. It wasn't long after that when my "Crush" at the time had come up to me and kissed me in the cafeteria. Needless to say, I was pissed. He had ruined my dreams of being kissed under the starlit glow.

Alivia and her "Boyfriend" helped me through it though. She didn't really have a boyfriend, he was just a hookup really. Anyway it is strange being in this room with Elijah.

After I had met him I had meant to take him up here but I had just never done it. It sucks that the first time I have brought him here we are broken up and it's for actual research.

We don't really talk to one another. We just lie there underneath the false stars. I recognize these stars anywhere. They are the stars from Cambaar. However are they the stars that are above my head? I never really went stargazing in my time here so far.

Elijah seems to be enjoying the light show that dances above our heads and for that I am content. He is happy so I am happy. I try to tell myself that but I know the truth. He isn't really happy. I broke up with him. He loved me and I broke his heart because I am a coward. I feel the pain of this wash over me.

A small tear runs down my face. Elijah is looking at me now.

"Are you okay?" He asks me.

"Sorry, nostalgia. This used to be my favorite place with Alivia." I lie.