Elijah

Indiana was dangerously still. We couldn't pick up a heartbeat but that didn't stop me. Indiana was my best friend and he can't die. Alivia would never forgive me. Then he thrashed. The sheets flew off the hospital bed as Indiana broke out into a cold sweat.

"Hold him down!" The doctor yelled at me.

I grabbed Indiana's arms and pinned them on the bed. Indiana shivered as the doctor stuck a needle in his insect bite. Then his eyes opened wide. He screamed an awful ear splitting scream.

"What's wrong with him?" I yelled over his awful cries.

"I never said it would be a painless process." The doctor mutters.

The doctor takes the syringe from Indiana's side and placed it on a tray.

Indiana kept muttering things to himself while he slept. It obviously wasn't a peaceful sleep for he kept waking up screaming. He tossed and turned while we kept trying to get him to wake up because maybe, just maybe it wouldn't hurt so much if he wasn't moving.

Suddenly he stopped sweating.

"What's wrong with him?" I asked.

The doctor shoved a thermometer down his throat and read it.

"He has a very high fever."

"What do we do?"

I couldn't let him die. Indiana lets out an ear piercing shriek of pain. I felt like I was going to be sick. I needed some peace and quiet in my mind and I knew where to get it.

"I'm gonna throw up." I mumbled.

"Throw up outside of my infirmary. We don't need it in here." He tells me.

I walk outside and Lorelei is leaning against the infirmary tent. She looks so relaxed like the death defying screams that are coming from her best friend's husband's mouth aren't there.

"I take it Indiana isn't dead." She says nonchalantly.

I don't know why but her words rub me the wrong way. I feel a little bit of resentment towards her but swallow it down. She doesn't need my anger right now.

"Can we get away from here?" I ask her rubbing my temples.

She grabs my hand and leads me away. We sit near the water where we broke down and kissed again.

I looked at where we kissed and felt a familiar tingling within my stomach from when we were dating.

"I don't want to ruin what we have or don't have but what are we Lorelei?" I ask her as she relaxes with her feet in the water.

"I don't know. I do like you Elijah. Like a lot." She smiles.

"I like you too."

"But this is exactly why I broke up with you in the first place." She sighs.

"Why did you break up with me in the first place?" I pushed.

"I don't know!" She yelled.

"Then why!" I yelled.

"Because I couldn't bear if you left me!"

My voice gets low. I couldn't believe she broke up with me because she thought I would die. She's the one who always gets hurt, not me. Compared to a human I am more indestructible than they are.

"And you think I can handle to see yourself get hurt? Lorelei you almost die on the daily and you have the nerve to say you worry about me? Lorelei I almost got to a point where I would lock you in a room to keep you from getting yourself hurt."

"Kiss me." She whispers quietly.

I wasn't sure if I had heard her correctly so I raised an eyebrow. Lorelei walked over to me and wrapped her arms around me and kissed me.

She is just so breathtaking that I don't breathe when she pulled away. I looked into her eyes and saw tears lacing her eyes. They hung from her eyelashes like jewels. I pressed my lips to her cheek and held her there.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry Elijah." She whispered into my shirt.

I could feel her warm tears against my shirt but I didn't care I just held her in that moment, when she could actually stand.

"No Lore don't say that. It's not your fault, you were scared and I can't hold that against you. It wasn't my place to yell at you." I murmur into her hair.

She just trembles in my arms.

"I love you. I love you so much that sometimes I can hardly breathe when I think about you." She tells me.

"You are never far from my mind."

I bring her lips up to mine and press them gently together. Lorelei deepens the kiss. It felt like a dream. Throughout all the darkness in this awful world Lorelei is my light. She is my salvation. She is what keeps me tethered to this world.

"I love you too." I whisper into her ear.

She jumps into my arms and we continue our deep kiss. As we slowly sank to the ground I hardly notice our surroundings anymore.

We break apart and we are both breathing heavily.

"Why do you have this affect on me?" I ask her.

She looks at me in confusion. Her eyes slip down a little and then quickly move back to my eyes. Feeling very self conscious I hug my legs against me

Lorelei laughs at me.

"Shut up." I tell her very self conscious.

"Come on Elijah you are a 16 year old boy it was bound to happen." She stifled her laughter.

I didn't say anything. This was super embarrassing. I turned away.

"I'm sorry Elijah." She apologized.

I didn't want her to see my embarrassment.