Elijah

I woke up pissed. Not because my supervisor was calling me at 0330 but because he had interrupted my first pleasant dream I've had in months. I grabbed the com and turned it on.

"Do you need something?" I ask him.

"Get up, put on your uniform and meet us in the meeting room." He tells me.

"Yes sir." I tell him as I hang up.

I'm not sure which uniform he means so I just grab the one I wear out in the field. I put it on and rush for the meeting room. When I'm inside I face a bunch of weary looking people. Including Lorelei and Indiana.

"What's going on?" I ask Indiana.

"While we were at my wedding the Bright's moved their camps closer to our base." Indiana whispers back.

"Oh."

There is an uncertain murmuring in the room.

"Listen people, I know you are unsure right now. We are low in numbers and low in guns but I promise we are getting reinforcements." America yells.

Everyone is quiet when they hear her voice.

"What are they expecting in return?" Someone in the crowd asks.

"They expect nothing from us except support." America answers.

"That doesn't sound right" I whisper to Lorelei.

She nods her head in agreement.

"Support where?" Lorelei asks.

I look at her. She asked the question on everyone's mind. America looks grave for a moment.

"I'm afraid I cannot tell you at this moment in time." America winces.

"Come on. That is bullcrap." Someone yells.

There is more arguing from the back of the room. Everyone is murmuring something.

"Even I can't support her in this." Lorelei winces.

"I'm her best friend. I'm supporting her." Indiana tells us.

"Good for you Indiana." I say only half listening.

"What are we going to do about the camps?" Someone in the front asks America.

"Finally something I can answer. We are going to split our army into squadrons and each squadron will find and take down each camp." America tells us.

"What about us here on the base? How will we be protected?"

"We will leave a squadron and everyone still in training here." America tells them.

There were a few murmurs of approval this time.

"Also another item of business is that Lorelei being a Commander will get the Uniform of a Commander." America exclaims.

Lorelei looks shocked.

"See nobody can escape the military." I whisper to her.

Lorelei stumbles up the steps to retrieve her uniform. It looks better than mine. Her uniform is all black with a simple black hat with the United states seal on it and a cape that drapes around one of her shoulders.

"Looking fancy." Indiana told her as she came back to us.

Lorelei laughed. I smiled at her and she smiled back at me. In that moment my heart fluttered. Then I told it to shut up because Lorelei broke up with me.

I still can't help but feel this way when I see her though. She still has such a hold over me that I don't think I'll ever be able to break. Lorelei looks away.

"Everyone go and pack a bag. The squadrons will be posted in the main hall where you will get a gun and a water canister." America yells.

We all march out of the room in an orderly fashion. I break from the from the group to go to my room. My room is on the other side of the building because I wanted to be able to access the roof easier. Lorelei looks at me when I do it and I feel my cheeks burn a bright red.

I hate when she does that to me. When I get to my room I grab the giant Military grade backpack and stuff extra uniforms into it. I grab my iodine droplets that I have from patrolling the grounds and another water canister. You will never know if you need it. I grab a coat because the temperature keeps dropping.

I run to Lorelei's room after it and show her where to steal some Iodine drops. Then I walk past Veronica's room. I would feel bad if I just up and left without saying goodbye so I knock on her door.

"Come in." She calls.

I walk in and see Veronica. But it's not Veronica. Or at least the one I know. She is a Bright.

"What in worlds?" I gasp.

"Elijah! Oh my stars! You aren't supposed to be here. You aren't supposed to see this." She gasps hysterically.

"Do you want to explain why you are blue and glowing?" I asked betrayed.

"I'm sorry I lied but it's not a big deal." Veronica cried.

"You are right. Lying about being a Bright isn't such a big deal but you didn't just lie about being a Bright. You lied about life experiences, you made me feel sorry for you. You tricked me and lied to me. Where is your humanity? Oh right you don't have one."

That last line was a little mean.

"Well Elijah, you only have half of one." She spits.

That one hurt.

"I'm leaving." I tell her with no emotion in my voice.

I walk out and feel nothing else for her. When I get to the Main hall it is crowded with many many soldiers looking to see if they got the squadron they wanted. I find Lorelei and Indiana in line and join them. It takes a while but we eventually get to the beginning of the line.

"Name?"

"Indiana."

"Squad 14. Next."

"Name?"

"Lorelei."

"Squad 14. Next."

"Name?"

"Elijah."

"Squad 14. Next."

"It's nice that we all got onto the same squad." Lorelei told us once we were out of the chaos.

"Yea, at least we won't get lonely." Indiana says.

"You are looking good in your Commander's uniform." I tell her.

"Thanks. Are you a Lieutenant?" Lorelei asks.

"Sort of. I'm a Lieutenant Commander." I correct her.

"Oh. I'm just a Lieutenant." Indiana mumbles.

"Eh, you'll get there Indiana." Lorelei laughs.

"Easy for you to say. You guys are literally 16 and already have a higher position in the Military than I do." Indiana complains.

"Well you are talking to Commander Jameson and the Hybrid so yea that's why you aren't as high up as we are." Lorelei laughs.

I wince a little. It's weird being called "The Hybrid". Especially by Lorelei.

Indiana find Alivia in the crowd and runs over to hug her goodbye. We all walk over to her as well but not as fast.

"You guys better stay safe. I don't know what I would do if any of you people got hurt." Alivia exclaims.

"We will look out for this dude. He will need all the help he can get." Lorelei laughs at Indiana.

Indiana glares at her and she smiles back.

"We are going to miss you Alivia." I tell her as I hug her goodbye.

"Don't you dare leave me." I hear her whisper into Indiana's chest.

"I wouldn't try." He assures her.