Elijah

Lorelei cut her hair. It doesn't look bad but it's different. I might take a while to get used to it. She's still really pretty though.

When we got in the air we relaxed into our seats. Well after our initial take off we relaxed. Lorelei was getting airsick for the first hour or so. Actually Lorelei relaxed into her seat. I couldn't. My mind was still filled with the conversation I had with my mother.

It freaks me out that she has the upper hand over us at the moment. Alexandra is one scary woman. I don't care that she raised me, we lost all connection when she threatened Lorelei for the first time.

"Elijah? You zoned out. Do you need to tell me something?" Lorelei interrupted my thoughts.

"Oh sorry. Did I tell you I liked your hair?" I asked her.

Lorelei self consciously grabbed at her shortened hair. I'm not sure if she regrets her decision to cut it or not. It was such a change. Her hair was really wavy and that seemed to make it seem shorter.

"Yes only the last few times." Lorelei laughs a little.

I guess she wanted change. Something she could be in control of and I guess she assumed her physical appearance was the only thing she was actually in control of changing.

I guess it makes sense in my mind. All of us need some way to deal with the tragedies that have happened to us. When I looked over at Lorelei she was writing in a journal.

"What are you writing?" I asked looking over her shoulder.

"N-nothing!" She stammered as she snapped the book shut.

"I may not be extremely bright but I'm pretty sure you were writing something." I point out.

Lorelei looks down at her lap where the black notebook rests. Then she looks back up at me.

"Fine, but only when I'm done." She tells me in complete seriousness.

"Right." I nod.

She gets back to writing in her notebook and it leaves me to wonder about what she's writing. What is going on in her head. The one thing no one can understand, the mind of a teenage girl. Maybe this time I can understand just a little bit.

After sitting for a few minutes Lorelei hands over her note book and in her small and delicate handwriting is a poem.

A single moment

So bittersweet

A ghost in my memory

Do I free it

Or hold on forever

A single moment

So finite

One decision

So big

Yet so small

So huge

But in the end

Nothing at all

I feel like

A stranger in

My mind

Like an intruder

Wandering aimlessly

With no business there

I must leave

But I can't

I have to leave

Before this poem ends