Chapter 8

"Hello Miss Waters, please come in." Jackie welcomed me, though sounded vaguely unconvincing. I walked the usual route through to the dining room, and Jack motioned for me to sit opposite him. He smiled at me the way he did when he wanted something. As Jackie sat down next to him, the awkward silence began. Suddenly, he cleared his throat, and began to speak.

"Okay, we all know what issue we're here to address, and sitting here drinking champagne won't help anything."

"Your right Jack." Mrs Kennedy said "As you know I walked in on your kiss the other day, and I can't say it didn't bother me, no wife could say that her husband kissing another woman doesn't bother her. But I know that you two are friends and I don't want to stop you being friends, so we'd like to find a way to keep your friendship without having any more of that."

They both looked at me, I didn't know what to say.

"As you know" she continued "This isn't the first time Jack has done something like this, so I have to be wary, but I think you should sort out what's going to happen between yourselves." I took a breath, and proceeded to speak. "Mrs Kennedy I can assure you that the kiss was a one time thing that won't happen again, he'd just set up such a nice meal and it just felt right in that moment. We all have our flaws and giving in to temptation is one of mine, however this won't happen again as the temptation has gone now." The president breathed a sigh of relief, and nodded to me, almost assuring me that we'd be okay.

"Is this true Jack?" The hope in Jackie's eyes was painful, as it wasn't in fact true.

"Yes, that was pretty much it- I just didn't know what happened at the time." She threw her arms around him, and almost cried as she did so.

After we ate, Jackie went to check on the children, as I took a stroll with Mr Kennedy.

"Thankyou, for what you said to my wife." He smiled.

"It's no problem, really." I assured him "but we both know it was a lie."

"Yes I know, but we'll just have to be a little more careful in future, like keeping it to certain areas and things."

"I suppose so, if only it was easier." I said hugging him. The smell of his cologne was divine, I wished I could stay hugging him like this forever, but I knew I had to break away some time.

As I left the house that night, I felt more comfortable than I did before, more accepted, however I knew full well that I was lying to Jackie's face..