Chapter 21

A smile spread across my face- because I was happy for them, I thought. If not a little jealous that they could be publicly in love, when I had to hide behind closed doors. He looked at her with so much love that I couldn't help feel slightly excluded, but I'd known the reality of the situation since it began. But I knew how much Jack wanted this child, and it was killing him that they couldn't become pregnant, I just didn't understand the jumble of emotions inside of me. I needed to rest, but I couldn't, it'd just seem petty. Instead I joined everyone in their congratulatory hugs and clapping, telling them how happy I was for them.

Some time passed, as I sat in the corner with people cooing over Jackie and the children, I quietly sipped champagne. I noticed Jack walking over to me, a stern look on his face. I smiled at him, as he took me by the hand as his favourite Sinatra song came on. "Are you sure?" I whispered "What about Jackie?"

"Can't a guy have a dance with his friend? I thought you liked to have fun." he laughed, lifting me in the air in time with the music. I could see Jackie laughing at us, and telling everyone else to join in. Jack beckoned them to join, as he broke into doing the charleston. I laughed and joined in, I remembered my grandmother teaching me how to do it when I was a young girl. "Jackie come dance with us!" he shouted, as she shook her head. "Darling if I do that I'll turn the baby inside out!" she shouted back over the volume of the music. Even Caroline and John John joined in- it was one of the best moments of my life, everyone in blissful harmony. No more mistress assumptions, no worries, just dancing to 'Blue Skies', without a care in the world.

Before I knew it, it was 11pm, and most people had retired to bed. Jackie with the children, and most other people too. Eventually, it was just me and Jack, in an embrace, still dancing to the slow music that played in the background. "Don't you wish you could just run away together?" I sighed, my head resting on his chest. "Sometimes." he replied, affectionately. After a few more songs, and glasses of champagne, we sat on seats, on opposite sides of the room to each other. And reminisced about the night we met. "We should do that again." He suggested, and I quietly agreed, taking another gulp of my champagne. I suddenly burst out in laughter, for no reason.

"What the hell?" he said, almost spitting his drink out.

"You drink this stuff like it's damn tapwater." I laughed, I felt slightly dizzy, and more tired than earlier. However it was like I was on a cloud, just floating through life.

"No, you drink it like it's tapwater, that's like your tenth glass, I didn't even know it was humanly possible to drink that much."

And with that, I blacked out...