Chapter 29

"She'll be okay, it's just false labour pains." the doctor assured us, as we nodded and hugged Jackie, who was obviously still in pain.
"It'll all be fine kid." Jack told her, trying to comfort her. She was tearing up, and I didn't know if it was with joy or if she was in pain.

The next few months were a blur of hospital appointments, speeches, and making dates with world leaders, until finally, the day came. August 7th, Jackie woke up with pains in her stomach. All I heard was a scream, and a bang, when I realised what was going on. Jackie was going into labour. "Get her in the car!" I heard a voice shout, It was Clint.
"It's too early, it can't be coming!" Jackie shouted back, obviously worried. If the baby was premature, it could have health issues, among other things. Jack eventually came out of his room,in a suit as always.
"Mr President!" I shouted.
"Yes Marianne?"
"Do you want me to look after Caroline and John John?" I asked, not aware of any plans they had made.
"Wake them up and get them dressed, and then can you bring them to the hospital in your car? I'll be in the waiting room." He instructed me, and I diligently agreed, and ran to wake the kids up. Caroline groaned, but woke up and let me dress her anyway. She asked me what was going on, and I simply told her that she was getting a new brother. When she was ready, I woke John up, and dressed him, however he fell straight back to sleep.

When we arrived at the hospital, Jack greeted the kids with a hug, and then he hugged me aswell. There were tears in his eyes, and he shook his head as I tried to tell him it would be okay.
"It's too early." he cried "It's too early."
"Look, Jack- Sorry, Mr President, Your child is coming into this world right now, and you should be in there so you and your wife are the first people he sees." I told him, and he nodded.
"Come with me?" He asked, through tears, so I got the kids, and followed him into the maternity room. As soon as we entered, Jack entered, and threw his arms around his wife. She groaned in pain, and Clint sat at the sidelines, with his head in his hands. I thought it would be best to leave them, so I asked Clint and the kids if they'd like to go to the waiting room, which the agreed to- Clint very willingly.

For hours we just sat in the waiting room, and finally coming to a realisation of how it got it's name- because we waited, for hours on end for news of the baby. The children both fell asleep, however I made it my duty to stay awake and take care of them.
"You know you can sleep, I'll watch the kids for a while if you'd like." Clint offered, returning from the cafe with a coke.
"No, It's fine, I want to be here when the baby comes." I replied, although I so desperately wanted to accept his offer.
"You're a brave woman." He told me, getting comfortable in his seat.
"How do you mean?"
"Taking on a job of this audacity, it just seems like a very big thing for a woman of your age."
"Well it's not easy, but Mr Kennedy is my best friend, I couldn't live without him, really." I sighed, it was a hard job, but it was worth every minute of it.

After the ice was broken, we talked for at least 30 minutes, until Jack came bursting in. We both turned our heads anxiously. He panted for breath, and finally spoke.
"It's a boy!" he shouted, and I got up and flung my arms around him.
"Patrick Bouvier Kennedy." He beamed, also hugging Clint, then waking John and Caroline to tell them the news...