Chapter 17

"What?" I gasped, dumbfounded- What had changed his mind so fast?

"I can see you, just not romantically, that's all" he looked at the ground now, trying to avoid eye contact.

"Why not? I don't understand how you've had such a big change of heart in the last 39 minutes!"

"Seeing you with Jackie today, it changed everything, it wasn't so bad when you didn't know each other all that well, but now you're friends, I can't do it, I'm sorry." he teared up, and put his hands on my shoulders "I still want to be friends, and I still want you to work for me- I just can't be with you."

"Just don't say anything else. I'll see you tomorrow Mr President." I said, quickly, while walking out of the room. As soon as I left, I burst into tears.

"Marianne!" he shouted after me. It was too late, I pushed past Bobby, and ran to my room, crashing onto my bed, tears streaming down my face. Being with John had changed my life- and I didn't want to change it back.

~November 1st, 1963~

Today was my first "normal" working day, not being involved with the president- that is. I put on a skirt suit, and a single string of pearls, and walked into the oval office, placing some paper work on Mr Kennedy"s desk. As I walked out, I bumped into Bobby- he must have stayed the night.

"Hey, where'd you go last night?" He smiled, touching my arm.

"I felt really ill, I went to bed." I lied, and he could probably tell.

"Is there something going on with you and Jack? Don't lie to me." I felt interrogated now, and I wasn't going to give away any information.

"What makes you think that?" I asked, looking straight at him.

"You ran past me crying last night, after you talked to Jack, and there's only one reason I've ever seen a woman cry like that."

"I'm sorry Mr Kennedy, I have to get back to work." I snapped, as I walked away.

No one could know about Jack and I, ever. It would just cause a scandal, and no one likes scandals. When I returned to the office with more papers, Jack was there, working as usual. An awkward situation needed to be averted, and quickly. I scooted to the desk quickly, placed the papers down and headed straight for the door.

"Marianne?" he said, as I placed my fingers on the handle. Sighing, I turned around to face him. "Yes Mr President?" I replied, diligently. "I don't know what I was thinking last night." He began. "I don't know why I 'broke up' with you. Yes, it may be a little immoral to carry on seeing you, but what isn't damn immoral these days. You don't know how much I've missed your lips, your voice, your touch." He stood up, and placed his hands on my arms. The tension between us was almost too much to handle, my muscles tightened. "Relax." He breathed, and I answered his command, as he kissed my forehead, and undid my string of pearls. His lips brushed against mine, and even though I was still mad, his authority was too overpowering to undermine. He wrapped his arms around my waist, and lifted me off the ground, as he slowly, and passionately began to kiss me...