Chapter 23

~New Years Eve, 1962~

"5,4,3,2,1, HAPPY NEW YEAR!" we all yelled, raising our glasses, and hugging each other. As always, Jack walked to the record player, and set up his Sinatra record. 'Blue skies' began to play, and he invited Jackie to dance, while I sat down. I reflected the year that had passed, in the space of a few months, my life had changed so much. 6 months ago, I would never have expected to be spending the holiday season on personal invite from the Kennedys. It was a lesson that I never expected to learn but was eternally happy that I did- life can change in ways you'd never imagine, if you just give it the chance.

When a more upbeat song came on, Jackie sat down, and Jack gave me his hand .

"I wouldn't dance with him Marianne, he's not much good." Jackie teased, looking Jack in the eye. He smirked, and looked at me "Charleston?" he asked, as I stood up.

"Charleston." I replied, as I began to dance, I was an expert at this. Jackie clapped as we danced- we'd agreed to keep this as a family affair, just us and the kids, however they had gone to bed now. While I danced, I couldn't help thinking of what next year would bring. Jackie was pregnant, so a new baby, Jack would decide wether to campaign for president again. When the song was over, Jack began to give a speech, like he always did at these times.

"Ladies, gentlemen, members of the congress." he laughed "We are starting a new year in this very instance. This very minute in time. Who knows what could have happened this time next year. We have important decisions to make, and they will be made with confidence and pride. We don't know what this year will hold, but we need to be prepared for it all. No matter good or bad, we will pull through and we will move onto the next thing that life throws at us. But the most important thing is to make every day count, like it's the last day of your life. I could be dead by this time next year, as could everyone else, and that's a scary thing to think of, but at the same time it motivates me to push myself and take every opportunity that I can." In response, I stood up and clapped, and so did Mrs Kennedy. It was a good life, living in 'camelot', and I couldn't hope for anything better. This year was going to be good, I just knew it.

"After making you listen to that, I think you should be the first people to know about an important decision that I've made." The president told us, as Jackie and I glanced around the room.

"What is it bunny?" She asked him, interested.

"I've made my decision to run for president again!" He beamed...