Chapter 9

Once again, I'd been invited to the white house, for a private lunch with the president, or something. I thought this would just be to break the news that we couldn't see each other anymore, but I pulled myself out of my bed to go anyway. I pulled on a skirt and a frilled blouse, and as usual pulling my hair into a bun. As I got in my car, I sighed, preparing myself for what was coming next. I went through the same routine as I always did, driving the same route, parking in the same spot, knocking on the same door. Mr Kennedy answered, and surprisingly, lifted me up, and kissed me.

"Come in, please- there's a table set in the garden, make yourself at home." He directed me to the garden, and sat down with me.

We were face to face, he took my hand.

"Marianne, I know being together will be difficult, but we can make it work, Jackie isn't here at the moment, she's on a day visit- but I have the perfect idea."

I nodded, urging him to continue. "You could be my personal assistant, that way, I see you every day, you get a better salary than you do now, and well always be together. You can move in here." I couldn't do anything, I was paralysed. So I got up, and wrapped my arms around him, and kissed him harder than I ever had. "I actually love you." I exclaimed, before realising what I'd said. He looked down at me, smiled, and replied "I love you too." While he continued to kiss me...

~2 hours later~

I fixed my hair, as jack changed his shirt, Jackie would be home soon, and we didn't want to get caught out again. As I put a drop of Chanel no.5, the president came and whispered to me "You're amazing." and I giggled in response. He led me down the stairs, and began to explain how my job would work.

"The thing is there's been so much going on with us, and Jackie, that you probably have no clue of the problems I'm having to deal with at the moment." He told me.

"No, what's wrong?"

"The soviet have missiles, nuclear weapons on Cuba, if they're launched, they could be here in Washington in 20 minutes, what can I do in 20 minutes?"

I raised my hand over my mouth, to suppress a scream.

"I have to go on public television, at some point- to announce what decision I'll make. And that's why I need you, not only to help me out, but to calm my nerves aswell."

"Anything, I'll do anything Mr President." I assured him...