Chapter 20

"Mother what are you doing?" I exclaimed, smelling whisky on her breath.

"Happy Thanksgiving!" She yelled, almost falling over, smashing the bottle that was apparently in her bag.

"Mom you need to go home." I said, in a stern manner, I couldn't have her messing the dinner up, it would all be blamed on me if she did.

"Turning away your own mother, what a disgrace!" She yelled, pretending to cry, splashing what seemed to be vodka at the walls.

"You need to go now." I told her, defiantly. Shutting the door behind her, I knew exactly what she was doing, and I wouldn't let her continue. I heard laughing from the entrance hall, so I walked in to join them. I could see this being a good day, and a drunken old woman wasn't going to ruin it. I took a glass of wine, and raised it, forgetting what had just happened. Jack put his hand on my shoulder, and introduced me to everyone, as I had only met Robert before. I shook hands, and Jack smiled as I did so.

At 2.00, we eventually sat down for dinner, drinking champagne and eating hors d'ouvres before the turkey. The children all had juice, and laughed as they played with each other. After a while, Jackie asked me to help her in the kitchen, to bring in the food. While she picked up sauces, she told me to get more champagne, which I did.

"Mrs Kennedy, I hope you don't mind me asking, but why don't you have a bit of champagne?" I asked, I was just curious as to why she wasn't drinking with all the rest of us.

"I feel a little sick, that's all- I don't think champagne will help." she answered, as we walked into the dining room, staff following us with the heavier items.

The food was exquisite, the turkey wasn't dry for once, the cranberry sauce was the perfect mix of sweet and sour. I got along with all of the Kennedys and Bouviers, which Jack seemed to like. He was unusually happy today, it was probably just the buzz of it being the holiday season, but he seemed in a lighter mood than before. We went around the table, giving thanks, Jack starting, and giving a speech as he usually did, and then finally, it got to me. I had so much to be thankful for, how could I choose just one? "Do I really have to choose one thing to be thankful for?" I laughed "But, this time last year, I would have never seen this happening, having thanksgiving dinner with the Kennedys. It was a dream of mine to even be acquainted with you, but I'm so close with Jack and Jackie especially now. So I'd say I'm Thankful for life. Because who knows, on this day, November 22nd, next year- we could all be dead, who knows? So yes, Im thankful for life, as it's not a right we have, it's a gift that we're given." And with that, everyone clapped, and I blushed- I had no idea where that came from.

Finally, it was Jackie's turn to give thanks, and she looked at Jack, as they both stood up. "Marianne I think it's time I answered your question truthfully now. Earlier on, when we were in the kitchen, Marianne asked me why I wasn't drinking. Well that's what I'm thankful for." she stopped for a second. "I'm pregnant!"...