Chapter 26

I didn't know what to say, the president had just told me that he loved me. Being speechless was something that I thought was impossible until now. All I could do was wrap my arms around him, and repeat "I love you Mr President.", it was probably the most defining moment of our relationship- if only we could have spent more time like this...

The day Jackie returned was bittersweet, the fact that she was back was good, in a way- because she was my friend, and the only female company I got around here. However, Jack and I had to return to acting like what we were meant to be- just friends. A small bump was beginning to show under her clothing now, their child, his child. The children returned with her and hugged me when they got to the door. Jack told Jackie all about the gifts, and I followed on from that with information about her picking up Juan Bosch on Thursday. She of course had brought back gifts for everyone- cufflinks for jack, and pearl earrings for me. I hugged her and put them on, thanking her as I did so.

Once the children were in bed, the three of us went into the sitting room for drinks. Jackie told us of her week with her parents, and it was alot more interesting than I thought.

"So, what did you two get up to then?" She asked. This was a question I'd dreaded answering, and I could tell he did too. We looked at each other, and I began to speak.

"Well someone here went to bed again after you'd gone and didn't get out of it until past three, we took a quick swim and got takeout- then we both went to bed again because for the next four days we had work. Nothing interesting really."

She looked satisfied with my answer, thank god. I didn't want to give anything away and neither did he- and we were both thankful that one of us was a good liar. If anyone, especially her, found out- then we'd be banned from seeing each other. And I'd have to return to living with my drunken, self obsessed mother. I was worried about going to the state of the union address, In case it sparked rumours. I excused myself, and walked into the other room to get a drink

"So are you ready for the state of the union address?" Jackie asked him.

"Almost, I have a little more to do on the speech, but that's it." he replied.

"You do know I can't make it don't you?" She told him.

"Yes, I'm taking Marianne."

"What?" She sounded annoyed

"What's wrong with that?" He snapped.

"What do you think? It'll spark rumours you idiot!"

"They know she works for me, it won't start anything!"

"I'm starting to think she's just another one if your women."

"ANOTHER OF MY WOMEN? WHAT DO YOU MEAN?" he yelled.

"I know about them Jack! Do you think I'm stupid?"

"She is not one of my women! And if she was it'd be different because we can actually talk to each other!"

I heard crying, and a door slam. In light of the situation, I ran to my bedroom, and sunk to the floor, sobbing...