Chapter 31

The atmosphere around the Kennedy house was thick with sadness for the week following Patrick's death, no one really talked to or acknowledged each other. We all felt unbearable grief towards patrick, and this was our way of expressing it. Mr and Mrs Kennedy barely left each other's side, and like I said, it certainly brought them closer together.

Eventually however, we had to get back to work. Jack's campaign would be starting soon, so we needed to organise that, and he had various other speeches and meetings to attend. So far, we had a two-day tour of Texas in organisation, and a trip to Arkansas to sign the partial test ban treaty. When I walked into the Oval Office to deliver Jack's schedule, he was sat at his desk, looking particularly upset.

"Mr president, are you sure you should be working yet?" I asked him, placing some papers down.
"I have to, the country needs me." He sighed, picking up the papers that I'd brought in, and scanning through them. "At least you're here, it'll keep me grounded." He stood up, and kissed me, lightly placing his hands on my waist. "I've missed you." I whispered into his ear.
"You see me every day." he remarked back, as I kissed him again. "I've missed this." I told him, as he ran his fingers through my hair. He began to kiss me more passionately, as he removed my suit jacket. I pulled out of the kiss, and looked into his eyes for a second. Then, I returned to kissing him, I loved how he always took the lead, because it made it feel more special when I did...

At the dinner table that night, no one talked, we just exchanged glances, we were all just stuck in grief. Jackie looked up from her chowder, and for the first time in what seemed like forever, began to speak. "Lee will be coming tomorrow if that's okay." She said "To give her condolences." Jack nodded, and we returned to the silence. "Will she need picking up?" I asked, trying to save her a job.
"Yes, that'd be nice, thankyou. I don't really feel up to going anywhere." Jackie said, a smile showing slightly on her face. I'd never met Lee formally, so it could be interesting. Jack glanced at me, smiling- I loved his smile.

When I picked up Lee, she instantly recognised me, and walked straight towards me.
"Where's Jackie? Is she okay?" She said, obviously worried.
"She's fine, she doesn't feel ready to go out in public yet." I assured her, picking up one of her bags. She smiled at me, and we walked out to the car together.
"Do they make you do this all the time?"Lee asked me.
"No, I offered." I smiled, as I started up the car. In the ten minute drive to the white house, no one spoke, it was the most awkward first meeting I'd ever had, and I didn't enjoy it one bit. I just assumed that she saw me as 'the help' and carried on driving.

When we arrived home, Lee immediately dropped her bags and ran to hug Jackie- I could see why, I'd be like that if it were my sister. Jack looked at me, and then rolled his eyes as they began to chat. I giggled, and he walked over to me, taking my hand. He brought me into the next room, and kissed my cheek.

"What's up Mr President?" I asked.
"I just wanted to thank you on mine and Jackie's behalf, for how supportive and helpful you've been over the past year or so." He told me, looking straight down into my eyes, and pulling out a blue box. "I'd like to give you this, as a token of my appreciation to you, you've kept me sane."
I gasped, it was a Tiffany box, I remembered mentioning how much I loved Tiffany's some months ago.
"Open it then." He smiled, his dazzling blue eyes like toe stars shining on me. I removed the white ribbon, and the lid to the box. What was inside took my breath away, a pearl and diamond choker.
"Mr President, I-" he put his finger on my lip, and proceeded to put the necklace on me. "I love you, with all my heart." He whispered, as he tied the clasp of the choker...