Chapter 37

It all happened so fast, Jackie climbed onto the back of the car, I didn't know why, she just did. It looked like she was grabbing something, Clint was there on the back of the car too, I could see the pain in Jackie's eyes. I began to scream and cry, I didn't know what else to do, the person sat next to me wrapped their arm around me, and I knew it was to comfort me, but I just waved them off. The car began to slow down.
"DRIVE!!" I yelled.
"What? Where to?" The driver said, flustered.
"I don't give a damn where to, just follow that goddamn car!" I ordered him, pointing to the presidential limousine.

Jackie was leant over Jack, crying and whispering in his ear. Tears streamed down my face, it was like a dam burst, I had just lost the one person I could depend on, the one person I'd ever loved. All I could do was cry in trauma, constantly repeating "They killed him." Through suppressed screams. The driver did exactly as I asked,seeing the upset I was going through- we followed the car to Parkland Memorial Hospital.

When we arrived, it was mayhem. Secret service agents were everywhere, screaming for assistance. Jackie was leant over Jack, crying, screaming "No!". All I could do was cover my mouth, and sink to the ground. A pair of secret service ran outside with a stretcher, and that's when I realised the seriousness of what happened. In a panic, I ran as fast as I could over to the car, and I hugged Jack, then kissed his head saying "Don't die on me!".Jackie looked at me in utter confusion. I was moved away, so he could be taken into the trauma room. Looking down at myself, I saw my new suit, ruined. Stained with the president's blood. Jackie's was in the same state, it was haunting, really.

"Why?" She cried, I just shook my head, and helped her out of the car. Seeing him being wheeled into the hospital, I ran after him, his wife clinging to me, crying. That was exactly what I wanted to do now, just cry, but I knew that I had to stay strong, for Jackie's sake. We didn't go into the trauma room, I didn't think it'd be good for Jackie, nor me. Instead, we waited in a small closet, in silence. After what seemed like hours of waiting, I heard a whimper from Jackie.
"What?" I said.
"No."
"What do you mean?"
"I want to be in there." She said, pushing the door open "I'm not sitting and waiting for my husband to die."
I nodded, no matter what happened, I wanted to be there with him. She looked fragile as she walked into the trauma room.
"Mrs kennedy, you shouldn't be in here." Dr Nelson said, trying to get her to leave.
"I will not leave," she replied "It's my husband. His blood, his brains, are all over me." and that is the woman I remembered her as. Strong, and willing to fight for what she wanted. The nurse shook her head, as Jackie opened her hand, I opened my mouth in shock, she placed a piece of skull in the basin.

While this was happening, all I could do was look at Jack, and look into his eyes. His beautiful blue eyes. Even though he lay almost lifeless on the table, his eyes still glimmered the way they did when he was full of life. Thinking back over the past year, it brought me to the point where I sank to the floor, and leaned against the wall, in tears, looking down at my blood stained suit. Dr Carrico was doing everything he could to save Jack, and everyone in the room was clinging onto the tiny hope that he'd make it.

The scenes I saw that day were unforgettable. Jackie stood next to her dying husband, her face blotched with tears. Nurses and Doctors manically bringing tools and equipment. Kenny in the corner, praying that he'd be okay. Then me, just staring blankly at the heart rate monitor. I looked away for a second, then I looked straight back. His pulse slowed, and then the inevitable happened. Flatline....