Chapter 39

When we arrived in Washington, we were greeted by a sombre welcome. Bobby of course, was at the airport, a tear stained picture, the life in him that you usually saw was gone. I was still crying, still in shock when we landed, my makeup running down my face, and Jackie the same. Bobby came up to us, and hugged us both, however I just walked away, I know I shouldn't have, I just wasn't ready.

On arrival at the white house, I ran to the oval office, and sat in Jack's chair, placing my head in my hands. The smell of his cologne was still stuck to the furniture, and I didn't want it to go away. I just wanted to be alone. My tears blurred the ink on the letters he had yet to read, I couldn't bear to be in here but simultaneously couldn't take myself away from it. Sobbing, I sat
"Marianne?" It was Clint."Is there anything I can do?"
"I can't stop thinking about him. I Can't leave this room because I don't want to leave him but I don't want to be in here because it reminds me too much of him. His blood is on my suit, on my hands and I can't bring myself to wash it off because it's like I'm washing him away and I don't want to loose him." I cried, staring at a picture of him and Jackie. Clint walked over to me, and took my hand.
"Look, it's just as hard for everyone else in this household, is there anything you could do to make it better?" He asked, clearly trying to hide his sadness.
"I don't know." I shook my head, because I really didn't "I'd like to make a eulogy." He nodded his head, and helped me up, so I threw my arms around him, and cried into his shoulder.

Clint took me downstairs, to see Jackie. She was hunched over in a chair, tears streaming down her face. I couldn't focus on that however, I'd break down myself.
"Mrs Kennedy?
She sniffled, and then looked at me.
"Could I maybe make a eulogy for Jack?" I asked. As a reply she just whispered "yes, thankyou." and placed her head back in her hands.
"If there's anything I could do, like help you tell the children? I'd be happy to do it." I tried my best to smile, but my failed attempts at staying strong just led to more tears. Clint sat me down, and left us both to grieve.

When it was time to tell the children, I could barely contain myself, it was one thing experiencing it yourself- but having to tell someone's children that their father died, is the hardest thing you can do. Jackie, the nanny, Clint and I all walked into the room that the children were in, and their faces instantly lit up when they saw us. They ran to hug Jackie, and she choked back the tears, eventually, they pulled back- and Caroline noticed there was something wrong.
"Mommy?" She began "Where's Daddy?" Mrs Kennedy blinked, and swallowed.
"Daddy isn't coming back." She sniffed.
"What?" Caroline said, looking worried.
"The thing is.... I can't lie to you, Daddy died today." And she began to cry, along with Caroline, and John. I don't think John fully understood what had happened, but he still cried, because he knew something was wrong.
Once the children were tucked in, Jackie retreated to the entrance hall, and again began to cry. I just laid in bed, staring at the little tv in the corner of the room, and the bloodstained suit hung up on my wardrobe, hoping for some relief from the pain of Jack's death. It was hard to believe that it was only eleven hours ago that it had happened, eleven hours ago that my life had changed forever. It was around midnight, and the faint blur of CBS news disturbed the room.

Someone had been charged, they'd found him. I got straight up, and ran downstairs, to find Jackie exactly where she was two hours ago, doing the exact same thing, crying.
"They charged someone!" I exclaimed, her head shot up.
"What?" She said "Who?"
"Lee Harvey Oswald." I replied...