Chapter 36

Climbing into the car, I smiled at jack in the car in front of me. I couldn't believe that I was going on a presidential motorcade. Clint proceeded to stand on the side of the car, just in case anything happened.
"I have a good feeling about today." He smiled, peering ahead at Mr and Mrs Kennedy.
"So do I." I replied.
the crowds at the airport cheered while we drove away.
The day was burning hot for late November, and the weather certainly reflected how everyone felt. People lined the streets, holding signs and banners, taking videos and pictures. Making history. I knew this day would be remembered just for the sheer magnitude of the event. The pair of them looked like royals, waving at everyone as they passed by, people screaming their names. I turned to Clint "In reality we're just bystanders in their Camelot.".
"Couldn't have said it better myself." He smiled.
It was evident that we weren't getting any of the attention, why should we? To the rest of America I was just 'the help' and Clint was any old secret service agent. However on this day, I left all that behind, as I adjusted my hat. I could see the faint whispers of people that recognised me. "Is that Marianne Waters?" They would say "I heard she was with the president." It was easy to ignore, because even thought I knew that it was, in fact, the truth, to them it was just tabloid rumours- something to discuss at a dinner party.
I admired the architecture of the buildings as we drove through Dallas, it was hard to believe that a person's creativity could create something like these.
"Where are we?" I asked, aware that we only had an hour or so to get where we needed to be.
"Almost at Dealey Plaza, we're on Main street now." Clint replied.
"They look so happy together." I remarked.
"I know, I wish I had that."
"I thought you were married?" He just sighed, longingly, and I instantly got the message. He was married, just not happily. As we turned off onto elm street, I saw even more people waving, and a man stood on a podium, with a camera, his face lighting up as soon as he saw Jack and Jackie.
"This is why I love my job." Clint beamed.
"Oh god, I know."

It's hard to conceive the idea that your entire world can cave in within a matter of seconds- or it is until it actually happens. I heard a loud bang. The little girl that ran after the car stopped running. Jack turned around to look at what had happened, with the beautiful expression he made when he had to answer some sort of confusing question. He turned back around, assuming it was a car backfire.
BANG!
He lifted his arms in front of his throat, and governor Connally had a pained expression on his face. I knew something was wrong.
BANG!
It was all a blur, a bullet hit Jack's head, the impact forced him backwards. I covered my mouth in horror, and Clint ran to the presidential limousine. The president slumped onto Jackies lap...