Chapter 28

I looked at Jack in horror. I knew exactly what we'd done now, and we'd have to deny the allegations as best we could.

"What should be done?" I asked, looking at both of them.

"I need you to call all of the major news networks, and ask them to come in. Then we will make a speech, all three of us, to deny these rumours." I nodded, and diligently ran to the phone in my office. something needed to be done about this- and I wasn't going to let it pass. Firstly, I called ABC.

"Hello, this is the offices of President John Fitzgerald Kennedy, we would like you to attend a speech that the president is giving tomorrow at 12 noon, addressing the rumours about his affair." I stated.

"Okay, we'll get someone out there tomorrow." They replied, and hung up. I repeated that call to at least six networks. One we'd got this over with, I could return to my normal life, I could talk to Jackie again- everything would be normal. After I'd done my usual work, I walked downstairs for lunch. Jack was at the table, and he looked worried, like there was something on his mind.
"Mr president, I called all of the networks and I've arranged the speech for noon tomorrow is that okay?" I said,as he stood up to hug me. "Thankyou." he whispered "Thankyou so much."
"What's wrong Mr President?"
"I've been getting calls all morning, asking about you- I just don't know what to tell them." he help his head in his hands, you could see he was worried from a mile away.
"It's okay. We'll eat, and then I'll help you write a speech." I smiled, sitting down to eat my soup...

~12pm, the next day~
Jack, Jackie and I all walked to the Oval Office, all in apprehension of the speech, and the response that we'd get to it. Purposely, I dressed as conservatively as possible- so people thought that it was just a work relationship. When we got outside the door, we all nodded at each other, as If to wish good luck to one another. Jack entered first, followed by Jackie, and then me. Their eyes all followed us to Jack's desk, where we all took a seat.
"Hello, News reporters, press networks. I assume you're all aware why you're here today. I- We are here to address the rumours about me having an affair with Marianne. I would like to make sure that you all know that we are not in a relationship of any romantic nature. Jacqueline, and Marianne will confirm this to you, as will any of my relatives or workers. If anyone would like to ask questions, now is the time." He have the speech so directly than no one could deny it- it wasn't exactly what we'd written but it worked just as well. Almost immediately, there was almost everyone waiting to ask us something.

"I have a question." The reporter for NBC began "If you aren't in a relationship that is romantic in nature, why did you have your arm around Miss Waters?"
"Well, she was very frightened by the amount of paparazzi at the event, that I simply did it to guide her in." Jack replied, another reporter began to speak.
"What do you think of this, Mrs Kennedy?" He asked, he'd hit a tough spot here, and I didn't know how she would reply.
"Well I can't say I'm best pleased about the articles and things but I know it's not true."
Another reporter readied himself to ask a question, "And what do you have to explain about you two's hug before the speech?"
I panicked, I had no clue how to reply.
"Well, if you must know, the president here was nervous, and as we have a close relationship as friends, I was just reassuring him."

After at least an hour of questions, the gathering finally ended, much to our relief. We all dragged ourselves into the entrance hall, to see everyone out, sighing as we did so. The press were relentless as to finding out exactly what was going on, and it wore us out. Once the last reporter had left the building, Jack smiled, and sat down- straight onto the floor.
"I didn't find it that tiring Mr President." I remarked, and he jokingly made a gesture as if to shoo me.

Mrs Kennedy stood in the corner of the room, grimacing, as if she was in pain.
"Jackie are you okay?" I asked, seeing tears forming in her eyes.
"No. Yes. I don't know" She whimpered, I rushed over to her, she now had her hands on her stomach, the way you do before you vomit- or if you're in extreme pain. She slowly sunk to the floor, Jackie looked like she had an extreme fever.
"Oh my god." I gasped "Get a doctor!"
"Why?" Jack asked me, in horror.
"I don't know what's wrong with her but you have to remember that she's pregnant, something could be wrong!"
With that, Jack ran to the phone, and I sat next to his wife, just hoping for the best...