Chapter 27

The morning after Jack and Jackie's fight, I sat alone at the breakfast table, awkwardly waiting for company. As I put honey on a croissant, Jackie entered the room, and said good morning to me, in a surprisingly happy way. "Jack isn't having breakfast today, he's working and the kids are sick- Stomach virus, nothing much." she told me, smiling.

"Oh, are they okay?" It seemed like the polite thing to ask.

"Well they were vomiting last night but it seems to have settled, they should be fine." there was an awkward pause, and finally, she addressed the 'elephant in the room' "I'm sorry about Jack and I's fight last night. I don't know what came over me."

"It's fine, really. You're pregnant, it's okay to snap once in a while." I replied, trying to be considerate.

"Well yes, I suppose so. I regret anything I said that offended you- if you heard. And yes, of course you can go with Jack." She smiled, and I thanked her. When I returned to my room, I couldn't help but breathe a sigh of relief, everything would be okay.

~14th of January 1963, State of the union address~

Jack looked nervous as he waited at the front door for me. He wore the tie that u brought him. I had trouble walking in the shoes that I wore, but it was all worth it for Mr kennedy. I crept up behind him, and tapped his shoulder. He gasped as he turned around to see me.

"You're beautiful." he complimented me, kissing me on the cheek, and then looking down at my cream and black skirt suit. "You really are." He looked nervous, and was obviously waiting for the car. After a while, we heard a horn, and wandered out to the car. There was a man standing at the car, and he seemed familiar to Jack. "Marianne, this is clint, he's a secret service agent- my favourite secret service agent if I must say." he laughed, shaking hands with him. He then turned to me, and I put out my hand, to shake his, however he kissed it. "I'm Clint Hill, you look beautiful, if it's not too bold." I blushed, and replied "Marianne Waters,and Thankyou."

"Get off her Clint, I need her concentrated on her work." The president joked, as he helped me into the car. On the ride there, he was going over his speech, constantly shaking his head, and murmuring. "Mr President, you're going to be fine, you're amazing at giving speeches." I told him, just as we pulled up to the venue. When we got out of the car, we were overwhelmed by paparazzi, shouting and taking pictures- he was used to this, I wasn't. Seeing my discomfort, he placed his arm around me, and guided me into the building. The room was full already, and it was almost time for Jack to give his speech.

"I need to sit, Mr President, good luck." I hugged him, and then rushed to my seat. To a mixed reception. Some of the people sat near me greeted me happily, while from others I only got a "where's Jackie?". Finally, jack got onto the podium, and began to speak.

"Mr. Vice President, Mr. Speaker, Members of the 88th congress. I congratulate you all--not merely on your electoral victory but on your selected role in history. For you and I are privileged to serve the great Republic in what could be the most decisive decade in its long history. The choices we make, for good or ill, may well shape the state of the Union for generations yet to come."

I listened intently to the rest of his speech, it was fascinating to hear. I had no idea of the exact state of the country. This came as a shock to me, as I worked for the presidential office. After the speech, Jack and I got back into the car, and returned to the white house, talking about how it all went. When we arrived home, Clint opened the door for us, and Jack invited him in for a drink. As we sat down, I noticed how Clint looked at me- the way Jack did.

The next day, Jackie turned up to breakfast with a tear in her eye, she then slammed a newspaper article down in front of Jack and I. We looked at each other, then at the newspaper. There was a picture of Jack with his arm around me, and the headline read 'Jfk's new woman?'...