Chapter 25

Another day at work, another deadline to meet, this seemed dull compared to the past few months, but I had to do it to be with Jack. Drawing lines on a paper and writing times down was repetitive, but at least I got a reward at the end of it. If only I could go into the office to see Jack, I just didn't want to disturb him while he wrote his speech. He was expecting to have something that would last around an hour, so it would take him a while to write. It would be televised, and he didn't want to mess it up as a large audience would be watching. I imagined his blue eyes looking into mine, and I carried on drawing. He was my motivation. I dialled the numbers on the phone to reach the Dominican Republic, and waited for someone to answer.

"Hola." a woman's voice chirped at the other end of the phone.

"Hi, my name is Marianne Waters, I'm calling on behalf of Mr John Fitzgerald Kennedy."

"Ah sì, what are you calling for?"

"I need to arrange a meeting time for Mrs Kennedy and Mr Bosch on the 9th."

"Well, his flight will be there around one is is one thirty okay?" she asked, she seemed happy to say she was working.

"Yes, perfect, thankyou. I'll inform Mrs Kennedy as soon as possible, Adios."

"Adios."

Another job done, thank god.

As I got back to plotting the presidents month out on my graph, I felt a hand on my shoulder, and the smell of 4711 hit me. It was Jack, he kissed me on the cheek, and I giggled in response. "Get to work Mr president you have to finish that speech." I lightly pushed him away, but he pulled me with him. "Don't you like me anymore?" He pouted his lip, and I broke down in laughter. I'd never seen this side of him before, but I loved it even more. "Who couldn't like you?" I ran my fingers through his hair, as he leant in to kiss me. I quickly kissed him back, and then continued to speak. "But, you have a country to run, and an hour long speech to write. So you should get back to work, I'll make dinner later if you want me to." I smiled, quickly brushing my lips against his cheek, as he walked away.

When I finally finished working, I made my way to the kitchen, where the staff greeted me with smiles as I told them they didn't have to do much tonight. They simply assisted me with making the dish which I would serve to Jack. A simple steak and mashed potatoes, which he always seemed fond of. As the steak cooked, I set the table, with candles and flowers, I knew it would be well received, by both of us, after long day. Suddenly, an idea came into my head, I bolted into the kitchen, and asked the staff to keep a watch on the food. Then quickly heading out to the stores...

When I returned, I wrapped up the two small gifts; a Givenchy tie, and the "September song" record. Placing them in the centre of the table, I walked to the office to tell Jack it was time for dinner- and hurriedly ran to the dining hall, and sat at the table. After a while, he finally came into the room, and his face lit up straight away.

"What is this?" He asked, smiling from ear to ear.

"You've been working so hard recently, I just thought I'd surprise you." He wrapped his arms around me, and I handed him the gifts, which made him smile even more.

"You didn't have to go to all this trouble." He told me, almost apologetically.

"It's fine, really- anything to make you happy."

As he opened the first gift, he looked anxious to know what it was. Seeing the Givenchy wrapping, he immediately told me that it was too much, but I refused his comments, and was a dinner that he kept it. "You can wear it for your state of Union address Mr President." And he nodded in response, opening the other gift. Out of nowhere, a single tear filled his eye, and trickled down his cheek. He pulled me into an embrace, and kissed me slowly, like he meant it. "I love you." He whispered "I haven't been able to bring myself to say it yet but I do, I love you."....