Secret's Of The Past

We entered my dad's office and locked the door, just in case Claire and the bastard came back.

I immediately hung the key around my neck.

My father's study was huge. It had bookcases everywhere, a desk filled with paper work, family photo's and the safe. It was all oak dark wood, with soft orange light's. It looked both relaxing and mysterious.

"Does your mom know you have access to this place?" Tyler asked.

I shrugged, turning towards the bookshelf and examining the books, running my fingertips across the spine of each one as I talked.

"I don't know. I knew she had this key, it was given to her. A few week's after the will reading, I found the key in her nightstand while I was looking for her phone. I had the good sense to hide it, so that she never stepped a foot in here." I said.

"Did you come here often?" He asked.

"I used to come from time to time. But I never understood this place, I was too young. The only thing I knew for sure was that this was dad's safe place. " I said and sighed.

I turned towards him and shrugged again, putting my hands in my pocket's.
"Now, its different. If I want to stay alive and end this nightmare, I have to step up. And like I told you, I have to protect myself because if I don't, no one will."

Tyler opened his mouth to object but I corrected myself.
"Well, besides you." I gave him an apologetic smile and he laughed.

"Let's get to work shall we?" He asked and I nodded.

"First thing's first." I said and made my way towards the safe. With shaking fingers I typed the code in.
2...
3...
9...

There was a click and the door opened. There was an old looking brown journal, some folders, a manilla folder and some other paper's. There was also cash, but the money didn't seem important at the moment.

I took the folder and sat on my father's desk.

"There's something called a chair, ya know?" Tyler said, sitting down in it. I glanced at him briefly and lifted my black boots to place them on his lap. He raised an eyebrow.

"Are you comfortable, your highness?" He mocked.

"Very much." I murmured, reading the file.

"What you got there?" He asked, leaning towards me and I lowerd the folder so he could see.

"Well, there's plenty info here. This first file is about my mother. Its from an MRI done wen she was 14. It say's she suffers from borderline personality disorder ever since." I said, frowning.

"And what might that be?" Tyler asked, scratching the back of his neck.

"Its a condition that affects a person's thoughts, emotions and behaviour. Young people describe it as 'feeling okay one moment and then feeling deeply despairing, angry, sad or anxious the next.' According to these notes my father wrote, Claire started depending on everybody else, was always egocentric, demanding constant attention and her mood swings were unbearable. She was the legit definition of a bipolar person." I said, flipping over to another paper.
"Sure sounds like my mother." I murmured with a humorless laugh.

"Does it have a cure or is it life long?" Ty asked, intrigued, his hands resting on my legs as he leaned over slightly to see better.

"Its life-long, if im not mistaken. Treatment involves a series of without numbers of therapies, talk therapy or, in some cases, medications. Hospitalization also helps but that's for extreme measures." I said as I kept reading.