1.

"Jes come on, it'll be fun!" Cried my best friend Lena, trying to convince me to go out with her. I had a perfectly good night of Netflix and junk food planned and it was going to take an act of God to change my mind.

"Lena, we're not in college anymore. We'll be the oldest ones in the club." I argued back. She trudged into my living room and shot me a glare.

"We will not and that's a shitty excuse. We're 23, not 50."

"It'll be packed with 16 year olds with fake ID's and I'll feel like a creeper." I whined.

"Shut up. It's a place my friend from work, Erica, told me about. It's supposed to be more upscale and you're going." I swung my head around from the tv I'd been focused on to meet her gaze. Lena was gorgeous by all accounts. She was lean and tall with blonde hair that never seemed to be out of place. Her eyes were piercing blue and she had a subtle confidence about her that was alluring. Everywhere she went she gained attention and she thrived in it. I looked her up and down noting the outfit she'd assembled for the night, a black body con dress with a plunging neckline that hugged every inch of her skin, and heels.

"If I have to dress like that it's not only a no, but a hell no."

"Shut up and go get dressed. You know you never win these arguments I'm not sure why you're even trying to fight me on this."

She had a point. I'm stubborn but I hate confrontation, it's a confusing contradiction.

"Ugggghhhhh" I groan while rolling my eyes. "If I do this you better pay for all of my drinks."

"I knew you'd cave" she replied with a laugh before returning down the hall to my room.

"You have to do my hair and makeup though, you know I'm shit at it!" I call after her.

"Already heating up the curling wand!" she yelled back.

I smiled at how well my best friend knew me. Before Lena, I'd always been rather awful at making girl friends but, when we'd met at college, I knew we'd become inseparable.

I roll from the couch to a standing position and venture back to my bedroom to find something to wear for tonight's adventure. True to her word, Lena is waiting at my vanity.

"Should I get dressed first?"

"That's probably a good idea. Do you want me to find you something?" She asks.

"No, thank you. I can at least dress myself."

"Can you really though?" She jokes.

I roll my eyes and look through my closet for something suitable. I frown and knit my eyebrows together as I flip through the articles of clothing struggling to find something. I'd thought my clubbing days were over after college, I had been engaged after all. I finally locate a pair of ripped black skinny jeans and a white crochet tank top. I pair the outfit with a pair of black strappy heels and step back to see if Lena approves.

"Well I'll be damned, that outfit's not bad actually."

I shoot her a 'go to hell' look in response before sitting down on the vanity chair and letting her get to work working her magic. Forty minutes later, Lena instructs me to smack my lips and take a look in the mirror.

When my gaze meets my reflection's in the mirror I smile, actually liking what I see for once. My tan skin is glowing and smooth, my blue eyes pop with the brown and gold eyeshadow she's applied and my lips are plump and red. She's pulled half my dark brown hair up into a bun and the rest is in loose curls down my back. The whole look makes me feel incredibly confident and sexy, even.