33.

36 weeks

It seemed the closer we got to my due date, the faster time passed. I had a hard time deciding if that scared or excited me more. On one hand I was excited beyond belief for Paisley to arrive, and on the other I was terrified of my impending motherhood. Raising a human was a big responsibility and though I'd had nine months to prepare, I still didn't feel ready.

One of the hardest parts for me was not having my mom around and being able to ask her for advice. My dad offered what he could, but it wasn't the same. Last night when I'd spoken to him I had asked if he thought Christina might be willing to spend some time with me. She wasn't my mom. But she was a mom and she'd been nothing but kind to me since our first meeting. He said he'd ask and I was hoping she would agree.

"What are you thinking about?" Cal asked as he pushed a piece of fallen hair from my face.

"Just hoping Christina agrees to come."

"I'm sure if she's got the time she will, if nothing else you can always FaceTime her." He says pressing a swift kiss to my forehead.

"Are you in the studio today?"

"Yeah babe. We're getting close to being done with the album I think." He says taking a bite of his bagel.

"That's good. Do you know what the plan for the band is after you've finished?" I try to keep my voice light but I'm concerned about what his answer will be. I know his lifestyle, and I know it isn't conducive to him being home all the time, as much as I wish it was.

He sighs.

"I've been meaning to talk to you about that." My heart plummets to my feet. I smile tightly trying not to overreact until I know the situation. "We have to do a promotional tour. Just a few weeks to promote the new single and get people excited for a new album."

"When?" He bites his lip and stares back at me and I know I'm not going to like his answer.

"Whole month of June."

"Are you fucking kidding me?"

He closes his eyes and the breath leaves his lungs.

"It's not ideal, I know. My parents have agreed to stay if you want them to, and after June, I'll be back and we'll be getting ready for tour in September, so that'll put us here for a while."

"You're going to miss so much." I say my heart breaking. He stares past me out the kitchen window and swallows.

"I'm sorry..." he trails off.

"Don't be. It's your job, I just wish you didn't have to go."

"Jes, please. This is already hard enough." His voice is full of emotion, so I drop the topic. I reach out and take his hand. He slides his free after a moment, running it up my arm until he reaches the base of my neck and gently pulls me into him. "I love you so much."

"I love you too, Cal."

"I better head in. We were supposed to be in at 10 so I'm already late." He says rubbing at his eyes as he blinks back the water from them.

He kisses me once more before slipping out to the garage, into his car, and off to his rockstar life.

"Thanks for coming today!" I squeal to my dad's girlfriend as we slide into a booth at Panera.

"Of course! It's no problem, I always wanted a girl so I was thrilled when your dad said you invited me." Christina gushes.