20.

24 weeks

I wake up the next morning to an empty bed. A look at my phone shows me it's only nine so I'm surprised Calum is already up. My curiosity gets the best of me and I wander from my room in search of him.

A scan of the living room and kitchen reveals no sign of him. I'm growing a little worried when I spot his jet-black hair outside my kitchen window. He's on the phone and appears distressed. He leans against the railing of my deck and scratches the base of his neck as he speaks into his cellphone. I wonder who he's talking to, and what he's talking about.

I've only watched him for a minute when he hangs up the phone and turns to face the house. He jumps startled when he spots me staring at him through the glass.

"Good morning" he mumbles as he comes through the door "why aren't you still asleep?"

"I woke up and you were gone. Who was on the phone?"

He closes his eyes and lets out a sigh.

"We may have a slight problem." He pinches the bridge of his nose.

I try not to overreact to his words but my mind has already jumped to tons of horrible possibilities of what he could be talking about.

"What is it?" I ask, fearing his answer.

He shakes his head before handing me his phone. It's got an internet article pulled up on it. The article displays a photo. A photo of Cal and I with a cart full of baby things.

CALUM HOOD BABY DADDY?

Calum Hood of Pop Rock band 5 Seconds of Summer is pictured with an unnamed brunette roaming the aisles of Babies-R-Us. The mystery woman looks to be sporting a baby bump and the two seem awfully cozy. Could everyone's favorite bassist be on the path to fatherhood?

There aren't many details but it's enough to have the entire fandom in a frenzy, the comment section is flooded with angry teenage girls.

I hand him back his phone and run my hands across my face.

"What does this mean?"

"It means I think our hand is being forced as far as what we're going to do about the fans."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, I think we have to tell them."

"But what about wanting to wait until she's born? I thought it wasn't safe?"

"Well now it's not going to be safe either way and at least if we tell them we can control the narrative and end the suspicions. It'll be out and hot news for five minutes then it'll pass and we can get on with our lives."

I try to process his words. This was the last thing I wanted. I liked the way things were. I liked my anonymity and I liked the private Calum I knew. What if this changed everything? That was a possibility I didn't even want to consider.

"What do the boys think?"

"We um...we actually had discussed what to do if something like this happened."

He looks to me for encouragement and I nod to tell him to continue.

"They thought it would be best to confirm it and just reiterate that this doesn't mean I'm any less committed to the band. That'll be what the fans are worried about, that we'll like break up because I'm a dad now."

"I wouldn't let you give up your dreams."

"I know babe. They just don't know you and won't know what to expect from me and the band after the baby comes."