21.

25 weeks

It had been a week since we made the pregnancy announcement. The response had been overwhelmingly positive which was a relief for both Calum and I.

With that cloud no longer hanging over our heads we had dared to venture out into the public. We'd been on a real date and when he was recognized I'd gotten to see the Calum the fans saw in person. He was himself, but more. He met their excitement with that of his own so that his already charming personality was magnified. He was overly kind, overly enthusiastic, and overly perfect. It was no wonder they adored him.

Observing him interact with them it occurred to me for the first time, that I loved him.

Somewhere in our quiet conversations, days of his hand in mine at doctors visits, and his constant support, I'd fallen for him. I trust him whole heartedly. He's been by my side, no questions asked since he found out about the baby and I want it to stay that way. He had me thinking about words I'd never let cross my mind before. Words like forever.

His birthday is tomorrow and I still haven't gotten him anything. I'm slightly worried about my lack of preparation but I hope I can think of something.

"Hey, Birthday Boy!" I practically scream into the phone.

"Hi love. Are you at home?"

"Yeah, I am. You coming over?"

"Be there in 5."

"Sounds good, see you then." I move the phone from the crook of my neck and end the call. I hadn't been expecting Calum to stop by today. I figured he would be busy with the boys until we all went out tonight. They've been basically living in the studio this week but Cal said they were really happy with what they were getting accomplished. Because I wasn't expecting him, his present wasn't wrapped and the house was a mess.

I wanted today to be perfect for him but we were off to a rocky start. To make up for the mess and lackluster gift, I added more mix to my pancake batter and fixed him a plate. I was just turning off the stove burner when I heard the door open.

"Hi!" He called to make his presence known.

"In the kitchen." His footsteps moved in my direction and he appeared only a moment later.

"Calum your hair!" I exclaimed.

"Yeah, I got it done yesterday. Do you not like it?" He asked unsure.

"No, no I do. It's just...different" his hair was still quiffed in his normal style but he'd dyed it blonde. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't what I was used to.

"I haven't decided how I feel about it." He says shrugging his shoulders. "It's just hair, it'll grow out"

"Did you make me pancakes?" He asks perking up.

"Couldn't let the birthday boy go without his breakfast." I smirk.

"I can think of something else to eat."

I drop my fork and stare up to find Cal grinning like a madman.

"Who knows? It is your birthday, you might just get lucky tonight" I say, trailing my fingers across his back as I walk past him to take a seat at the counter and eat my own breakfast.

He groans. "But I'm hungry now"

I roll my eyes at his forwardness. "There's a plate of food right in front of you." I say, shoving pieces of my pancakes into my mouth.

"You know that's not what I meant"

I hear small padded footsteps from somewhere in the house.

"Did you bring Duke?" I say excitement filling my voice.