4.

Three weeks had passed since my night with Calum.

Curiosity had gotten the best of me the day after and I'd googled him. I was surprised to find out his band 5 Seconds of Summer was so popular. I'd checked out a few songs and then tucked the memory of the night away in my brain, before getting on with my real life.

In said real life, I work for a small, up and coming, fashion house, handling the publicity for the brand and scheduling events. We were in the throws of the busy season trying to get more distributors to carry our line and beginning to look towards next year's fashion week. This week we're planning for an upcoming event where we'll be inviting tons of potential clients. It's a big deal for us and I've been put in charge of the whole thing including the presentation this week. I'm nervous, extremely so, and I've been feeling off all week because of it. Lena has grown worried over me, stopping by my house after work every afternoon to force feed me and make sure I'm taking in enough fluids. Despite her efforts, I've still felt weak and dizzy multiple times this week and my anxiety is making me nauseous.

So here I sit, on my bathroom floor at 8 AM bidding farewell to the breakfast I'd attempted to eat. I rest my forehead against the lip of the toilet and shut my eyes. This isn't the first time I've been sick due to anxiety but this time just feels different. I make a mental note to call my therapist and make an appointment before standing up and heading to my room to prepare for the day.

Just as I step into my closet I hear Lena let herself in the front door with the key she'd made herself after the third time I'd locked myself out of my house. She now used the key to let herself in as she pleased. "I'm in my room" I call out as I hear her footsteps move in my direction.

She appears in the doorway for only a moment before muttering, "you look like hell, Jes."

"Thanks" I reply with sarcasm laced in my words.

"Were you sick again?" She ponders and I only nod in response. "Jes, I'm really starting to worry about you."

I roll my eyes and answer "Lenny, I'm fine. This project at work is stressing me out and has my stomach in knots that's all. I'm pitching my event idea today, then I won't be so worked up and I'll be fine."

"If you say so. If this continues though, will you promise me you'll see a doctor? Just to be safe"

"Yes, mom. If I don't get better after this, which I will, I'll go get a check up."

She puts her hands up in mock surrender. I finish dressing in the outfit I'd selected for today, white skinny jeans paired with a blue linen top and navy wedges. I head out of my room grabbing my car keys from their hook by the door before Lena and I head off to the metro station. We work across the street from one another, Lena works for a publishing company, so we ride together every morning. We reach our stop and exit out into the LA heat. September is nearly over but the weather shows no signs of the impending change of seasons. We agree to meet at a food truck nearby for lunch before parting ways.

"Good luck with your presentation, Jes! You're gonna crush it!" She calls before disappearing into her building. I don't know what I did to deserve such a great best friend but I know I'm lucky to have her constant support. I shake off my nerves and walk confidently into the building that houses "Wild Child" the clothing label I work for. The brand is still only a few years old and we are mostly sold in local boutiques. Our board, basically me and the lead designer, want to see the brand expand to upscale department stores and online though and that's the goal of this pitch. To orchestrate a way to appeal to these clients and show them how we could be a profitable line for them to carry. I head straight for my office and set to work practicing my pitch.

"Jessie this is great. Exactly what I'm wanting to show these potential customers. Well done." Says Mary the lead designer for Wild Child. I'd just finished explaining how the event for clients would work and what we hoped to gain from it and it had gone remarkably well, better than to be expected. I gave my thanks to all in attendance for their time before excusing myself back to my office for my purse and then off to lunch. I step out of my office building expecting to feel the weight of my anxiety lifted and I do, but I still feel faint and just, off. Lena and I had agreed to meet at a Mexican food truck just a block away called 'Let's Taco 'bout it' the food is amazing and we eat there at least once a week. I reach the truck and don't see Lena anywhere in sight so I take a place in line and order our usuals. Our order comes up and as I'm walking to the table the smell of the spicy concoction in the small trays brings back an overwhelming wave of nausea. I drop the food and barely make it to a trash can before spilling the contents of my stomach. Luckily, since I'd already been sick once this morning, there is little to be expelled from my intestines.

"So maybe it isn't anxiety causing this after all" I here from behind me. I turn to see Lena with her eyebrow cocked in concern. I take a seat at the closest table nearby and put my head in my hands.

"I don't know what the fuck is going on" I say softly.

"Jes..." Lena says pausing until my eyes meet hers, "when was your last period?"