34.

36 weeks

Calum groans and runs his hands down his face.

"I haven't smoked in weeks, Jes."

"I know babe, but you said you wanted to quit before P got here and you were doing so well. I thought you were serious about quitting, but then I see you've obviously started up again and flaunted in on the internet."

"I just had the one. Sean took the pic and I thought it looked cool. Please don't be angry with me." He dips his head to force me to look at him. "I'm still quitting." I just nod.

"I'm not angry with you. I just thought it was something you wanted."

"It is." He groans dragging out the s and growing frustrated with me. "I'm working on it, Jes. Please can we just drop it? It was a long day, I missed you and I just want to hold you. I don't want to talk about this anymore."

I nod and let my head fall on my pillow. Cal rolls on his side so that he's pressed against my back wrapping his arm around my waist so his hand can rest on the exposed skin of my belly. He presses his plump lips to the skin on my shoulder and pulls me close. Paisley seemingly senses his presence and begins to move for him to feel.

"Hi, sweet girl." Cal whispers, "can't wait to see you soon."

40 weeks

"What time are they coming in?"

"Plane's supposed to land at 7. How are you feeling? I can send a car for them."

"Much to my dismay I'm feeling fine. Not even one possible sign that I might be going into labor."

"I'm sorry love, she'll come when she's ready. There's still three days until your due date." He says pressing a kiss to my pouted lips.

"I want her out nowwww." I whine.

"I know babe, I know." He says wrapping me in his arms.

"I'm just over being pregnant. Everything hurts, I can't move, I can't sleep, it's awful." I sob. He just holds me and lets me cry it out. These last few weeks have had me irrationally emotional. Calum, being the literal angel he is, has simply held my hand and done anything he could to try to help make me more comfortable.

"What about the chair? The rocking one in the nursery? You like it, it doesn't make you hurt, right?"

I nod.

"Alright, lets get you in there then. Get your feet up, maybe you'll feel a little better. You love sitting in her room."

"Yeah, I do. I can't wait to have her in it."

"Just a few days now, darling. It's gonna be okay."

He guides me down onto the chair and helps me raise my feet. The gentle rocking and soft cushions alleviate some of my ailments and let me get myself back together.

"You good to sit right here for an hour while I run and get them?" He asks crouching down to my level, his eyes filled with worry.

"We'll be fine Cal. She's shown no signs of being ready anytime soon."

"Well she's a girl sweetheart. Taking too long to get ready is in her DNA"

I scoff and he flashes me his signature grin. He leans forward and brushes his lips across mine.

"I'll be back as soon as I can. I love you!" He calls as he disappears out the door and I hear him drive off.

I gaze around at Paisley's room. All the carefully picked out furnishings intermixed with all of the gifts we've received from friends, family, and some of Cal's fans alike.

"We're all ready to meet you baby girl." I whisper as I trace my fingers along the skin of my protruded stomach, smiling as I feel her strong kick where my hand rests.

"You're going to be a feisty one aren't you sweet girl?"

The hour passes this way, I rock gently in the chair talking to my daughter and anxiously waiting to meet her grandparents for the very first time in person.

I glance out the window just in time to see Calum's car turning into the drive. I force myself up and waddle towards the stairs and down to the entry.

As soon as the door opens I'm wrapped in hugs.

"Mum! Dad! Let the girl breathe!" Calum cries.

"Sorry Cal we're just really excited 's all. Spent 24 hours cooped up on a plane to get here to finally meet her." His dad says before turning to face me.

"It's great to meet you Jessie. Talking on the video chat just isn't the same as getting to meet in person. Had to meet the girl who's stolen Calum's heart and the mother of our grandchild." David pulls me in for a hug and Joy follows after.

"We have so many questions for you! Calum talks about you all the time but he's a boy so he leaves out too much."

I laugh and glance over at Cal who's face is beet red from embarrassment.

"Mum, she's tired. You'll be here a while let's save the questioning for later."

"Yeah, yeah, okay."

"We've got to get some food into you anyways. I know you're starving. Where's Mali?"

"I'm here!" She calls coming through the door. "Just has to finish up a quick work call." She says walking towards me, arms extended.

"Hi, Jes!"

The afternoon dissolves into easy conversations and I love the way I seem to fit so seamlessly into Calum's family. I was scared it would be awkward or uncomfortable but it just feels, right. Like so many other things involving Cal. I glance over to him while I'm talking to his mom and find him leaning against a wall just looking back at me. His smile grows when he sees I've caught him staring and his cheeks blush.

I think back to when this all started, when my only family was Lena and my dad. At first I was terrified I'd lose them, now I have not only them but Calum, his family, his band, so many people willing to be there for me, for us, it's overwhelming.

Knowing I have so many people I can depend on makes me less anxious about Paisley's arrival. She's coming into a world full of people who love her and that makes this so much easier.

An: y'all ready to meet P?

This chapter's short but the next one will be loooooong and may take me a few days since school starts back this week 🙃 I promise to make it worth the wait!

Also this book has doubled in reads in the past week and we're up to 8k in just over a month! That's crazy! Thank you so much!

Please vote and comment!
Ily
-Sav 🖤