13.

19 weeks

My heart felt like it would race right out of my chest. I sat in my living room perched cross-legged on my couch with my phone on the table in front of me. I nervously bit my nails, a terrible habit that though I tried, I never could quite break. Calum told me he planned to tell his parents tonight, well afternoon for him. It's 11:48 PM Friday in LA which means it's 4:58 PM Saturday in Australia. He had less than 24 hours at home before he left to come back to California, so it was now or never. He'd told me to expect his call around midnight my time but even so I'd been waiting anxiously by the phone all day. The time seemed to tick by painfully slow.

Finally after what seems like an endless wait the phone buzzes and Cal's sweet face floods my screen. I grab it from the table and quickly swipe to accept his call.

"Hi!" I gush, my nervousness fading as his smile stares back at me.

"Hi, love! How are you feeling?"

"Really good, a little tired but I'm excited to be introduced to your parents and sister."

"You nervous?" He asks raising his eyebrows.

"Maybe a little" I smile sheepishly.

"Don't be. I promise they'll be excited." I nod as he finishes.

"What have you told them so far?"

"Just that I have a bit of news and someone I wanted them to meet. Mali's about to bust. It's been a long time since I introduced them to anyone...I haven't had a proper girlfriend since the band started really." He finishes and sets to scratching the nape of his neck. I want to linger on the girlfriend comment, but now isn't the time. Over the past few days he'd taken to using pet names but I hadn't read much into it. Now though, I wondered if he was also experiencing something like these feelings growing in my chest.

I smile up at him and he stands from wherever he'd been sitting talking to me and moves until I can hear voices in the background.

"Is that her?" I hear a female voice ask.

"Yes Mali, be cool, you're being weird."  I hear a scoff and the screen is blurry until finally it refocuses and he's propped his screen up so I can see him as well as his parents and sister.

"Hi" I say weakly, offering a small wave.

"Guys this is Jessie. Jes, these are my parents Joy and David,and this is my sister Mali."

"It's nice to sort of meet you! Calum speaks so highly of all of you!" I do my best to appear poised and hide my nerves.

"Hi Jessie!" Ms. Hood says through the phone. "Calum's told us a lot about you!"

I'm surprised by her words, I was under the impression his family knew nothing about me.

"All good things I hope!" I joke and they all laugh politely.

"He literally won't shut up about you, it's adorable." Mali adds and Cal's cheeks go bright red, I chuckle at his obvious discomfort.

"Alright, alright that's enough embarrassing me for one night. Jes and I have something we need to talk to you about and it's important."

Calum and I lock eyes through the screen, silently debating who should deliver this news. It's his family and I think it will come best from him. He nods slightly seemingly understanding that I want him to tell them.