49.

Jes

"Can you be ready in an hour?" Cal asks from the doorway with his trademark smirk and Paisley in his arms.

"I don't know, how dressy do I have to be?" I raise my eyebrows, my skepticism evident.

"Just something comfortable, but we'll be in public and we're not doing anything crazy or where we'll get dirty, but wear comfy shoes." That doesn't raise any flags...not at all.

"Are you going to give me any other information on where we're going or what we will be doing?"

"We're going on a date." He says smugly.

"No shit, Sherlock." I laugh sarcastically as he drags his fingers across his lips and pretends to zip them.

I roll my eyes and shove him out the bedroom so I can get ready.

I press Lena's contact on my phone and wait for her to pickup. She answers after only three rings. I tell her the small bits of information about tonight that Calum has offered and she informs me she's already aware of the arrangements since Cal had called her earlier to babysit.

"Where are you taking me?" I say with a laugh as Cal pushes me gently forward while covering my eyes.

"If I tell you it'll ruin the surprise!"

I know we're outside. The warm late July air coats my skin and I try to distinguish anything else but without my sight I'm basically clueless. I hear people around us, lots of them and I begin to grow anxious.

"Cal...can I see now?"

"Just a few more steps love" He says guiding me forward. He removes his hands and the sudden brightness causes me to squint and blink rapidly until my eyes can adjust. We're at some kind of park. There are hundreds of people milling around and I'm confused as to what everyone is waiting for until I spy the entrance. We're at an amphitheater.

"What are we doing?"

"I thought we could use a date. Jack's band is playing and he guest listed us and I've been wanting to take you out."

"Wait, Jack as in 'All Time Low' Jack?"

"That's the one." He says clearly proud of himself, knowing how much I love them.

I don't have words for the excitement or joy I feel so I simply stand on my tip-toes and press my lips to his.

"C'mon then." He says extending his hand and dragging me around to a back entrance. We're ID'd before being led to a side stage area that's private yet gives us a view of everything going on.

"Cal this is so cool." I squel my excitement overwhelming me. I can't even remember the last time I went to a concert and I'd certainly never been side-stage for one of my favorite bands.

"I'm going to be offended if you aren't this ecstatic when I bring you to one of my shows."

"I mean you guys are great, but you're no All Time Low."

He scoffs and drops his arms from their previous place around my waist. He mocks offense before letting out his gorgeous laugh and pressing his lips to my cheek.

I've missed this version of us, this easy, care-free, completely in love interpretation of who we are as a couple. It feels like we are the only two people in the world. The chaos of backstage is simply background noise to Calum and I as we enjoy our first alone time together in ages. When the first band finally takes the stage Cal pulls me against him, my back to his chest and throws his arm across my shoulder grabbing my hand and tangling it with his. He rests his head in the crook of my neck and we sway back and forth nodding in time with the music's pulse.