[ 1 ]

Inaya's POV

My alarm clock goes off for Fajr nama'az but I've been awake even before it rung. It's been like this for the last few years. I haven't been able to get a full night's sleep because of multiple reasons but every morning when I wake up, I'm grateful to be alive.

I roll over to check the time on my phone,

6:00 AM.

I still have 15 to 20 minutes before Fajr.

I get out of bed and tip-toe to the washroom to freshen up and perform wudhū.

My daily routine has been the same since I moved to my aunt and uncle's home almost two years ago: wake up before Fajr, freshen up/perform wudhū, read nama'az, go downstairs to prepare everyone's breakfast and lunch, then I'm off to either school or work.

I've graduated with an undergraduate degree in social work just last year and I've been working in the foster care system.

I love being able to direct children to safe, warm homes where they will, hopefully, be loved and cared for.

Being an orphan myself, I didn't receive much love and care from my parents. So, being able to provide help to other children is a goal I'm definitely striving for.

"Hey, Inaya!" I hear Mehar calling me from her room door in quiet tone.

Mehar is my aunt and uncle's daughter. She's the same age as me and treats me as if I'm her actual sister. She's helped me through a lot and I'm grateful I had her with me through so much.

I stop in the middle of the stairwell. "Yes? Would you like something specific made for breakfast or lunch?" I ask her.

She shakes her head. "I want to help you!"

"I would love for you to help me but you know how Chachu gets when he sees you helping me. I wouldn't want you to get in trouble."

"That's no fair! How are they going to marry me off if they don't let his daughter learn any of this?" She frowns as she makes her way to me.

I give her a pat on the shoulder and smile, "You're kind and beautiful, you'll have no problem finding a groom. Besides, nowadays, husbands should know how to cook as well." I wink.

Chaachi and Chaachu have been kind enough to provide me with a roof over my head and food on my plate when I had nothing. I have never taken their kindness for granted. So, when Chaachu tells me to keep my distance from their children, I abide without arguing.

I've tried to distance Mehar from myself in the friendliest way possible in the beginning but she never gave up on me. So, much to my uncle's dismay, Mehar and I do hang out.

Her brother, Haraz, is someone I tend to stay away from... he isn't very, uh, friendly.

Around 8:30 AM, I begin to put on my scarf to head out.

"I'm heading out!" I let everyone know.

My aunt rushes towards me to let me know what she needs from the grocery store for tonight. I quickly type it down in my notes.

"Have a good day." She says to be polite.

"Don't do anything to dishonour our name." My uncle mumbles.

It's something he's been saying to me every single day since I've moved in a few years ago but it's understandable, I'm his responsibility now. If I do anything out of line, it'll be on his name.

I say bye to Mehar and I didn't see Haraz, so I start my way to the bus stop.

Luckily, the bus stop from the house is an easy 10 minute walk and it drops me off close enough to my work.