[ 38 ]

Inaya's POV

I wake up, half expecting everything from last night to be a dream, only to wake up in the arms of the man I've given my heart away to.

Am I asleep? Am I awake? Or somewhere in between?

I stare at him blissfully sleeping. He looks so handsome and peaceful in this state: his even breathing makes him look calm, he has his lips slightly parted, his arms resting on my hip.

If I could freeze this moment, I would in a heartbeat.

I stroke his cheek gently with the tips of my fingers. "God really blessed you with beauty, no wonder so many want you for themselves. Plus, you're definitely out of my league but what can a girl do when you've snatched away my heart already?" I quietly laugh to myself.

All those times I tried to steal an innocent moment between us and prayed that he would soften up towards me finally payed off.

I turn to look at the clock resting on the nightstand beside me, it's only 6 AM. I slowly close my eyes, nuzzling my head in his chest.

Just for a few more moments.

• • •

My body jolts awake from the feeling of falling. I look at the clock, it's 12 PM.

I sit up and place my hand on the side of the bed Dominic was laying on only for it to be empty.

I frown and sigh to myself.

I did warn myself that this may end the second the sun rises. Still, the disappointment stings like a fresh cut.

I touch my head to smooth out my hair only for me to feel my scarf—I burst into laughter. "Oh my God, how is this still on?"

I slide off of the bed to make my way back to my room and back to my regular routine until I walk out of my room and see...

"Rose petals?" There's a trail of rose petals leading me to... my room?

Once I open the door to the room, the whole room is filled with rose bouquets. There's a basket of snacks and a teddy bear holding a note placed on the bed.

I quickly run to the teddy bear to grab the note:

You and I, tonight at 6. Dress for me and me only, amore mìo. It'll only be us tonight and no one else so wear whatever you please (or don't wear anything at all).
- Yours Truly

My whole body heats up at that comment.

I run to the washroom to shower and all I could think about in there was Dominic.

Dominic. Dominic. Dominic.

He has hijacked my mind and there's not a single thing I could do about it.

While I dry my hair, I think about how I really need to bring up the prospect of marriage to Dominic... I can't keep doing what I'm doing.

I may not be a perfect Muslim but at this rate, I might as well leave the religion. I've committed sin after sin and I've asked for forgiveness each and every time but how many times will He forgive me?

I sit on the edge of my bed. "If he doesn't want marriage, I have to break it off because without marriage, we have no future. It isn't only a waste of both of our times but it's also a sin."

It's as if my thoughts suddenly started to clarify, all the fog around it slowly dispersing.

I can think straight and I know certain things for sure: I love Dominic, I want to spend the rest of my life with him. But my love for my Creator is also just as much, if not more, and I want to start clean with my spirituality once again.