[ 40 ]

Inaya's POV

I keep staring at the ring. The way it sparkles in the sun like a night sky with millions of stars glittering.

His forever.

I would bring up the Islamic marriage but I have to take it one step at a time. Not everything can go the way I force it. I have to go with the flow. I'm sure proposing in itself was something that took a lot of effort for Dominic to do.

"Inaya!" A screeching comes from downstairs.

I jump off of the bed and run down the stairs. "Caterina?!"

"Ahhhhhhh!" She screams.

I quickly grab her hand, checking her for wounds. "What's wrong? Are you okay? Did someone hurt you?"

"You're marrying Dominic?!" She yells.

I quickly settle on the floor. My heart was racing so fast. "Caterina! You can't give me a heart attack like that!"

"What do you mean?! You're giving me a heart attack. You know how mad I was when I had to hear it from Dominic?"

"I couldn't tell you because I don't have a phone. I told Dominic to tell you to come over... why did he tell you that himself?" I frown.

"Because he's a narcissistic bastard. He had the most smug smile on his face when he told me." She huffs. "Wait, you're engaged. Show me the ring!"

She grabs my left hand and tilts it back and forth to see the ring sparkle.

"This is gorgeous. How did he choose this himself?" Caterina says more to herself than me. "Never mind that... you're marrying Dominic? My sweet princess is marrying that man?"

I look down on the floor at my feet expecting Cat to have a full blown breakdown. I was waiting for her to lecture me.

"Hey... look at me." She holds both my hands. "I'm so happy for you! All those years you said you'll never find someone because no one wants you, life proved you wrong."

Tears stung my eyes.

"I know you thought I'd yell at you because Dominic wouldn't be someone I could see you with but I can tell he cares for you. I know you care for him. You found the one, Inaya, even if it is my douchebag of a cousin." She giggles. "I'm so proud of you. Hell, I'm even proud of Dominic for scoring such an amazing woman!"

"Caterina!" I throw my arms around her, giving her a snug hug. I start sobbing uncontrollably because she's right. I never thought I'd reach this milestone in my life.

"Inaya, don't cry! You'll make me cry!" She pats my back to comfort me.

"I love him, Caterina. I'm insanely in love with him, I might just go crazy." I whisper as I rest my head on her shoulder.

Caterina goes on to tell me Dominic has asked us to start planning the wedding but the thing is, I don't know if I want a wedding.

If anything, a small wedding would be nice. But knowing that he's Italian... we'll probably need a big wedding.

• • •

Again, I don't see Dominic for about two to three days. He disappears without telling me and it never settles right with me.

I feel like now that we're engaged, he should at least leave a note saying he's going and doesn't know when he'll be back.

Suddenly, Nicholas storms through the doors. "You're fucking marrying Dominic?"