[ 3 ]

Inaya's POV

"Mob, huh? It's possible, some are switching their secret bases to quieter towns. It's easier to get away with things here because no one suspects it." Cat shrugs her shoulders.

"You too?" I question her in disbelief.

"Mehar thinks the same?" She asks, raising a brow.

I nod.

"Don't worry. You'll be fine. As long as you were far away enough for him to not see you properly." Cat jokingly tries to scare me.

"You're right. I should worry about more important things." I say.

"Like what?" She asks.

"Like how I'm still better at this job than you." I burst into laughter.

• • •

"Good afternoon, I have an appointment with Ms. Habib from the foster care department." I see a man asking for me.

"That would be me!" I say. I was passing by the reception desk when they were asking for me. "Please, follow me."

He's also accompanied by another older male, both look as if they're in their late 30s, maybe 40s.

I have them take a seat in front of me. "Are you looking to apply?"

Suddenly, their demeanour changes to some sort of intimidating vibe.

"Ms. Habib, our boss would like to speak to you." The taller man says.

"Sir?" I look at them in confusion.

"You've witnessed something last night." The shorter one states.

"Last night? I--oh." I'm physically shaking. My hands are shaking uncontrollably.

How did they find me within hours? They couldn't even see me. I couldn't even see them. This is absolutely insane.

"If you do not comply with our boss' wishes, there will be severe consequences." The taller one explains.

"I'm s-sorry. I'm... confused?" My words stutter uncontrollably.

"You'll have to meet with our boss." The shorter one says sternly.

"I'm sorry... I really didn't see anything. I swear." I try to explain to them.

The two men look at each other and nod. They stand up from their seats, making me jump off my seat as well.

"That's something you'll have to take up with him." The taller one says.

"I can't."

Of course, I can't! I'm not daft enough to think I'll get out of this alive if I meet the man but will I get out alive without meeting him?

"That's too bad. Things will not go well for you, then." The shorter one almost snickers.

He's enjoying this.

I grip onto the pen in my hand with so much force that I thought I would end up with a cut on my palm.

I had nothing to say. I didn't want to meet this boss of theirs because only Allah knows what he would do to me.

I watch as the men leave without saying anything else either. They stood their ground, not going against their orders and I stood silent because of sheer terror.

• • •

"Yes, obviously I can drop you off at home. I thought you'd never ask." Caterina grins.